UK trail bike. The story of an XCT5.

Sorry it has taken so long, but here is a vid to show where the cable goes:-

I know, needs a wash blah blah. Also has a flat tyre....

While my Curtis has been off the road for paint I have been using the Foes. After using it a little at the end of the summer and not washing it, the bike has developed some interesting, and annoying, noises. The easiest to fix was the saddle clamp, just stripping it and adding a little grease to the bolts fixed that, but the spring/shock makes a bit of a clunk under compression. I'm pretty sure its just the spring as a similar noise can be made if you joggle the spring on its platform. So, a strip down and clean is on the cards, tho I will probably wait until after boxing day incase I need to lend the bike out like last year.

I've had some good rides just now, mostly at night.

Sorry about the instagram pic, it looks far better on a handset screen. :/

Tastefully done and looking as it was assembled out of the box. I wonder if you managed to replace the shock body or if you had the coating chemically treated?

Excellent thread, I absolutely love these things!

This is my '06 FXR 2:1, with Ti spring. I've been looking at getting the shock serviced for a while as it seems to have a bizarre stiction issue at the start of the travel. Is there anyone over here that actually services them?

It's only balfa uk that work on them officially, but they don't have a good reputation. The bloke in Italy is the best in Europe, at free-ride.it , I can't remember his name.

I have used this bike more in the last year than I did the first year of ownership. And that is surprising, as I didn't start riding it last year until the end of July! The first year of having the bike, it was ridden pretty much constantly through the year, only laying dormant while the frame was being painted.

If I am honest, after the strip down and tune up last Feb, I was scared of getting the thing dirty, and just kept riding the Lynskey.

But since then it has had plenty of use, and having upped the fork travel to 140mm whilst in bits back in Feb, I thought the bike was perfect. This week though, I did a quick service of the forks as they were getting a bit sticky, and put the 150mm rod back in. What this has allowed me to do is run 10psi less in the fork so it sags to pretty much where it was before, but the forks are much more supple. I have found I use the lockout more, and this is a pain as I forget to unlock them usually, but they are definitely even better than before.

Last week we did Cwmcarn, the first time in years. I have heard people say its wrecked now, rough going and not what it used to be. I say man-up, it's exactly as I remember, and the braking bumps make it even more fun. Plus, they've planted trees in the open section on the top so that's fixed the only bit I didn't like before as well.

Now, I am planning another complete strip, but don't want to do it for another few weeks or so.

Here's a question. I want gold hubs for a new build, and Hope no longer offer them. I do have blue hubs left over from the Lynskey, and a bb and bits-n-bobs, do I stick them on this and use the gold hubs on the new bike?

Re:

Stick some black ones on this and the gold ones on the other bike? I think blue would look a bit poo.

I've only some Cwncarn once. It didn't seem to beat up in fact the exposed roots made the climbs better because they were challenging which took your mind off the big drag up!

Back