TVT Greg Lemond and brake lever/delta set up

Re:

The florescent paint went on over a white basecoat. The ratio was 20% paint to 80% thinners. It took a lot of coats to build up the required finish.

Attachments

• TVT500221.jpg
    TVT500221.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 418
Re:

I pulled out the brake cable housing out of the frame just before finishing the paint .... big mistake!!!

I tried to thread a needle through the frame to draw a new cable through. In the end I used a straw to draw the outer housing through - worked in 5 minutes! I just chamfered the end of the straw, pushed the cable housing through and the end of the housing simply rode up on the straw and out the other end. Youtube is great!

Attachments

• TVT50062.jpg
    TVT50062.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 413
  • TVT 50072.jpg
    TVT 50072.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 411
Re:

Great paint work! :cool:

How did you get the fade with the fluoro masked up? The dark seems to go up to the tape. :?

Re:

Pat, that looks great, most impressive is that you did it yourself at home (you are now going to tell me that you are a pro painter with a spray booth in the garage aren't you? :oops: )

Re:

No not a pro painter, painted a good few airfixes badly though!! Yes, that was my project for the year, I built a spray booth in the corner of the garage, bought a compressor and spray guns in the January sales and waited for my cousin's husband to visit over the summer. He gave me great advice on painting with a compressor and air gun. There was also some great posts on Retrobike on spray painting. I practiced a lot on another frame. It was very enjoyable overall but it has its moments. The great thing with the spraygun is if it does go wrong you can sand it back and respray. I used 2k aerosols last year on another bike. It was very expensive and difficult to control the fade.
The fade was the trickiest. I masked the pink and blue a good distance from where I wanted the fade.

Then it was a matter of several passes freehand with the spraygun - just letting the overspray further up or down the tube until you have the fade whee you want it.
The fade worked out fine but it wouldn't be in the same league as some the the paintwork on here. I remember looking at the Peugeot 653 Team Z on the forum here and wondering how did the painter do that fade?

Regards,

Pat

I

Attachments

• TVT 50041.jpg
    TVT 50041.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 377
Back