Tushingham's

Re: Re:

Andy T":1udyck0r said:
Done,
will update the thread over the next day or so, family crap to sort.... :facepalm:

Andy :xmas-big-grin:

I keep coming back to this, the work that has gone into this is immense, the colours, the fade, the decals are all faultless.

And where the hell did you get those original tyres from.... :shock:

Re:

An update on the Early frame Tushingham as promised in the Dec 2018 BOTM thread.

I ended up with a couple of Tushinghams last year and they were to be 2018 projects to rekindle the 'mojo' reference cycling in general..
Plan was to rebuild the early as a factory/shop spec. with Exage Mountain and the late frame with something else :cool:
Parts collection for the late frame is ongoing and will be completed shortly....hopefully.

The sourcing of Exage Mountain has been frustrating, some parts appear to be biodegradable - brake levers/shrouds, Cranks have the longevity of a firework and good condition rear mechs are mythical....so I changed tack (Pun almost intended) and decided to move up a groupset that was still year correct and could have easily been retrofitted, so Deore MT60 was then sourced for the build.

Start point of the early frame.

Biodegradable brake shroud of Exage Mountain.

It is possible to sand and polish the plastic back, however this is dependant on the level of pitting on the part, I felt the end result was not worth the time, the brake levers were still an issue and too soft to polish.

Polished plastic brake shroud. Far too much time to justify the end result.

I have few build log images due to an HD failure, the short story is, all metal components were cleaned and polished, when I located NOS parts they were left unpolished. Decals where required were redrawn and remade. The Tushingham script and head tube decal were copied directly from the original damaged decals I managed to remove from the frame.
The colours, here-be the first problem...., the original sales brochure states Fluorescent Orange (Standard colour with the RAL code 2005) and Diamond White, the frames are actually Pearlised White, my frame builder/painter who has been in the business 30+ years said Diamond White and Pearlised White are different colours, so I had the frames painted in the colours that they were originally...identified from parts of the frames that were uncovered when removing components and still showing unfaded original paint - Standard Fluorescent Orange RAL 2005, and Pearlised White (Code temporarily misplaced :facepalm: ) The same Pearlised White used on Muddyfox Courier's.

Early and late frames.

General frame views.

Ignore the block paving abortion, they are coming back to sort that out! :facepalm:

Chainstay mounted U-Brake

The rear mech cable actually passes through the U-brake lug on its travels.

Nice heavy lugs..

Panaracer Ibex

Early Tushingham decal style

And a nod to its parents for those who look closely...

On with the 'B52' now......

Andy

sinnerman":1oyihd5d said:
Andy T":1oyihd5d said:
Done,
will update the thread over the next day or so, family crap to sort.... :facepalm:

I keep coming back to this, the work that has gone into this is immense, the colours, the fade, the decals are all faultless.

And where the hell did you get those original tyres from.... :shock:

Thanks sinnerman,
Tyres came from a 1987 Muddyfox Courier that I purchased for the tyres only based on a few photos..took a gamble and it paid-off.
The tyres still have the moulding 'pips' on them!
The bike is now waiting its turn for restoration, its too far gone just to clean and leave as is, which is surprising given the condition of the tyres when the owner said were the originals from when he bought the bike.

Good quality shoe polish and this stuff works wonders for rubber and leather MTB bits :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Protectant ... protectant

Andy

Andy T":qlnbxzkz said:
An update on the Early frame Tushingham as promised in the Dec 2018 BOTM thread.

I ended up with a couple of Tushinghams last year and they were to be 2018 projects to rekindle the 'mojo' reference cycling in general..
Plan was to rebuild the early as a factory/shop spec. with Exage Mountain and the late frame with something else :cool:
Parts collection for the late frame is ongoing and will be completed shortly....hopefully.

The sourcing of Exage Mountain has been frustrating, some parts appear to be biodegradable - brake levers/shrouds, Cranks have the longevity of a firework and good condition rear mechs are mythical....so I changed tack (Pun almost intended) and decided to move up a groupset that was still year correct and could have easily been retrofitted, so Deore MT60 was then sourced for the build.

Start point of the early frame.

Biodegradable brake shroud of Exage Mountain.

It is possible to sand and polish the plastic back, however this is dependant on the level of pitting on the part, I felt the end result was not worth the time, the brake levers were still an issue and too soft to polish.

Polished plastic brake shroud. Far too much time to justify the end result.

I have few build log images due to an HD failure, the short story is, all metal components were cleaned and polished, when I located NOS parts they were left unpolished. Decals where required were redrawn and remade. The Tushingham script and head tube decal were copied directly from the original damaged decals I managed to remove from the frame.
The colours, here-be the first problem...., the original sales brochure states Fluorescent Orange (Standard colour with the RAL code 2005) and Diamond White, the frames are actually Pearlised White, my frame builder/painter who has been in the business 30+ years said Diamond White and Pearlised White are different colours, so I had the frames painted in the colours that they were originally...identified from parts of the frames that were uncovered when removing components and still showing unfaded original paint - Standard Fluorescent Orange RAL 2005, and Pearlised White (Code temporarily misplaced :facepalm: ) The same Pearlised White used on Muddyfox Courier's.

Early and late frames.

General frame views.

Ignore the block paving abortion, they are coming back to sort that out! :facepalm:

Chainstay mounted U-Brake

The rear mech cable actually passes through the U-brake lug on its travels.

Nice heavy lugs..

Panaracer Ibex

Early Tushingham decal style

And a nod to its parents for those who look closely...

On with the 'B52' now......

Andy

Andrew

I cant think of anything you could have done any better than you have, every detail has been covered and to Shop floor brand new standard, i think both Rodger and Lester would both feel quite flattered if im honest.

This is the first time since the 8 or 10 years of me using the forum have i seen such accuracy in the details, i fully appreciate just how hard some of this was for you, and the lengths, time and cost of searching for the biodegradable groupset too, i certainly dont think anyone could find criticism in your choices or direction either.

Whilst i get, that im a little bit of an old romantic when it comes to certain bikes,

I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting all your hard work here too,

viewtopic.php?t=127707&highlight=orange

I know ive probably said all this many times before, but the old romantic in me loves a good story with old bikes and the makers who forged the path, took the chances and kept there fingers crossed to see there efforts come to Market.

I think the above thread should have your Tushingham and all your hard work posted on it, for im still totally convinced to this day, that without Lester Noble meeting and working with Rodger Tushingham, the Brand that would become Orange, and the dominating force it came to be, may never have been at all.

To try and put this into some context, i can only think of the friendship forged between Charlie Kelly and Gary Fisher. (without these two guys things might have taken a different path too.)

They say from small Acorns grow big trees. and whilst Both Lester and Rodger have now retired, both parted on good terms, both became Masters of there games, and "Orange" whilst it now, no longer has Lester or Steve at the Helm, it is still family Owned, they are still here fabricating in the UK, and serving the Next generation with a product grown from such small beginnings.

A success story it is, and perhaps one that is often overlooked, forgotten, not known or whatever.

But this specific model, was responsible for bearing a generation of lycra clad lovers, quite happy to be seen in Neon Orange, it became a sight to behold and was a sight that did dominate the UK race scene.

IMHO, it may be a low end groupset and a mid-range price point, but lest we forget, it is of its time, and what was going on here in the UK at that single point in time.

To be fair, having been there at the very moment the First Orange was Born, and shown to anyone outside of the company, seeing first hand the companies Humble beginnings, and having the pleasure of dealing with them as a retailer and using there product for a national downhill race team, watching all the developments throughout the years the struggles and the successes, the significance of this for me, is quite personal i guess. (it really isnt me simply being a romantic old twat, i promise.....LOL.)

This bike should not only win BOTM for december, the model the forgotten history and its lineage, its BOTY plain and simple.

Attachments

• team_colours_704.jpg
    team_colours_704.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 609
  • Legends.......!.jpg
    Legends.......!.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 609

brocklanders023":71jwxg51 said:
Couldn’t put it better myself pal. :cool:

Thanks bud, i hope others see it the same way, Retrobike is like a Time Capsule for many of us im sure, and the more we can remember and document the better.

Andrew has done an amazing job here for sure....!!!

Thanks for the comments Sinnerman :shock:
High praise indeed, I'd better not F-up the B52 then!
It's taken far longer than I thought it would, it also fought me every step of the way....it still is :roll:

As for BOTM/BOTY, I think the readership prefer the exotic stuff and its us dwindling oldies that like the early heavy stuff, nice thought though..

Somehow I've become a custodian of Tushinghams with three in the pile, not sure what to do with the third one at the moment...?dropbar.
I've seen another members on here with a 52 down low on the seat tube that's unusual so could maybe do that?
One really should be Shimano Exage..

Andy

Am I right in assuming this is the same Tushingham that made windsurf sails (and still do) and also became Orange bikes?
Pretty cool frames.

Mattydoors":12oqsq6y said:
Am I right in assuming this is the same Tushingham that made windsurf sails (and still do) and also became Orange bikes?
Pretty cool frames.

Short answer is yes....sort of....
Roger Tushingham founded Tushingham, dealing primarily with windsurfing and Sailing stuff, Lester Nobel worked for Roger, they dabbled in MTB's for around 18-24 months, Roger decided not to persue that side of his business and Lester left to form Orange. The very first Orange bikes were re-decalled Unsold Tushinghams.

More here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203977

At my last count, there are seven known to survive....hopefully there are more lying in sheds etc to be found....

Andy

Latest posts

Back