Tulstar - A confession and an apology

Neil":4j7unjiu said:
highlandsflyer":4j7unjiu said:
IP addresses mean little, the minority are on fixed.

Mac addresses can be spoofed/altered.

Nice to see someone putting hands up without need.

Respect!
Whilst it's true that MAC addresses can be spoofed they are completely irrelevant unless you're on the same subnet. If you arp an off subnet IP address, all you'll get is the MAC address for the interface of the next hop.

My point being it is very difficult to prevent someone registering again once they have been kicked off a site. :)

highlandsflyer":1q7fsp56 said:
Neil":1q7fsp56 said:
highlandsflyer":1q7fsp56 said:
IP addresses mean little, the minority are on fixed.

Mac addresses can be spoofed/altered.

Nice to see someone putting hands up without need.

Respect!
Whilst it's true that MAC addresses can be spoofed they are completely irrelevant unless you're on the same subnet. If you arp an off subnet IP address, all you'll get is the MAC address for the interface of the next hop.
My point being it is very difficult to prevent someone registering again once they have been kicked off a site. :)
Indeed - no argument, there - there's probably plenty who realise it's reasonably easy to obfuscate where you're posting from - or be able to vary it sufficiently.

Certainly, but there are lots of scare mongers out there suggesting we are all terribly vulnerable out here.

A while back a chap on this very web site was suggesting he could pin point any physical address purely from an IP addy.

I posted mine and generally it is over a hundred miles from me.

My point in this thread was that Barney didn't have any real need to reveal this to anyone, and I applaud good moral choices.

Probably ought to comment on this thread.

Generally a ban is a ban - most users in the ban list will never be welcome on retrobike again. This case is a little different I suppose. Mark was originally banned due to trading issues, however even at the time it seemed there was no malicious intent. Clearly he rejoined as Barney, this only came to our attention several months (or even a year) after the fact, by which time he had more than proved himself trustworthy and a valued member of the community. Rather than blindy applying the rules we used a little discretion and common sense and allowed him to continue here.

I can't see too many disagreeing with that^^..although with my dislexia when I saw tulstar i kept looking for the shadows and hank marvin

FMJ":14khiizb said:
John":14khiizb said:
we used a little discretion and common sense

Reason #284 why I like this place.

+1 for that...we all do things that are dumb at one point or another but to hold your hands up and admit it is a good start. You seem to have paid your debt to retro-society so let sleeping ballbags lie...low, or waggle to and fro, or even tie them in a knot, or tie them in a bow!

Back