True off-road adventure bike that is flattish but not phat

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've culled the stable, now I'm looking for the final bike.
I NEED a modern bike that is light fast and relatively straight forward.
I ride on drops off road so it has to be compatible (I crashed a badly 3 years ago and left thumb becomes uncomfortable on flats) and geometry to suit.
I want metal between my legs for longevity.

I have looked at fat bikes but they seem to weigh as much as my Roberts Phantom.

I've recently discovered Valleycat racing which fulfills my dormant and missed alley cat racing habit, so gotta be able to pack some kit for 20+ riding.

So hive mind what do you say? Max budget £1200

Sub 16kg, I love my 97(ish all round tubes ally )Marin IFT which I have ridden fitted with drops for a while handles great, climbs well, bit scary on descent due to RST Mozo.
Oh and crap brakes

Re:

I got myself one of these for my winter commute (mix of gravel, road, paths and a little mud):

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... d/vagabond

and I'm a big fan, though sadly mine is last years model in a light blue and no amber wall tyres :( .

Massively adaptable with every braze-on you'll ever need. It could probably do with an extra couple of teeth upfront for me but that's easily solved.

Not sure how it will do on weight though as that wasn't really part of my criteria (once it has me on top of it it becomes kind of irrelevant any way!).

HM I've just paid for something....it took a deep breath but with it being the last frameset in the UK and the combo of the £ tanking mixing whatever happens in the US, I pushed the button for but, worked out with the parts I have to add what I just paid is less than the next generation frameset..
Slight advantage of trade discussions..

Any pictures of the new frame set joe I'm just starting on building a drop bar mtb after seeing yours at coed y brenin

Thinking differently and took onboard comments from talking to all of you and others.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 809
Back