Trek remedy 2020.

Luke26mhz

Retro Guru
So a year ago yesterday (4th may 2022) I pulled the trigger on a new bike.

My first ever full suspension bike.

A trek remedy 2020gx in teal to volt fade. The colour is what initially sold me!

So here she is in all her glory on the day I purchased her.

A couple of scratches to the paint, but nothing too serious, but all round a very clean bike.

B7DEB1B3-EA15-44D9-9047-BD353F067DE2.jpeg IMG_3914.jpeg IMG_3915.jpeg IMG_3917.jpeg IMG_3918.jpeg

A trip to bike park wales for a full weekends worth of riding was booked shortly after, so it was time for a few upgrades for the trek.

New boots with tubeless set up.

IMG_3985.jpeg

New rockshox mudguard to match the paint fade.

IMG_3992.jpeg

Unite black oval chain ring with anodised blue chain guide and bash guard.

IMG_3993.jpeg

Dmr v12 pedals in lemmie lime.

IMG_3995.jpeg

Some cool new fork decals.

IMG_4008.jpeg

Hope stem cap in anodised blue.

IMG_4010.jpeg

Dmr death grips.

IMG_4011.jpeg

And the highly recommended charge spoon in stealth.

IMG_4012.jpeg

Bike bark wales ended up being a blast and the bike handled everything I threw at it!

653879CF-E6EC-44AD-89A9-97DFF7B41E69.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg

After my trip to bike park wales, it was time to give into to my ocd and get the chip’s professionally touched up and then invisiframe the bike to protect it. The top tube had some lacquer peel and looking through the Facebook forums, it appears that the trek paint isn’t so great from factory.

Pictures of the chips.

IMG_4015.jpeg IMG_4013.jpeg IMG_4014.jpeg

So before the bike went for a touch up and re lacquer on the top tube, I upgraded the rear can on the shock for highly recommended meg neg, also purchased the 170mm front spring upgrade kit and service kit.

I decided to take this job on myself and it was fairly easy.

IMG_4743.jpeg IMG_4899.jpeg IMG_4900.jpeg IMG_4901.jpeg IMG_4902.jpeg

The bike back from from the painters all touched up and top tube re lacquered.

IMG_4903.jpeg IMG_5333.jpeg IMG_5334.jpeg IMG_5335.jpeg

So with the frame all touched up and looking new, it was time to invisiframe the bike.

I ordered the kit and done this myself, fairly easy task, pretty relaxing if anything.

Cleaned and prepped.

IMG_5587.jpeg

Time to install the kit.

IMG_5590.jpeg
IMG_5591.jpeg
IMG_5592.jpeg
IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5595.jpeg

Then problem struck!

Even though the new paint was left over 6 weeks to harden, I had to re align the invisiframe on the top tube, it wasn’t even stuck down fully, and once i lifted the invisiframe, the lacquer come away from the top tube. Great!

IMG_5612.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg

This had really put me in a foul mood. But we move on. The plan was to have the top tube re lacquered. But after speaking to the painter who done it and a few others, this wasn’t possible.

Do I leave it like it is or do I get the bike repainted? It’s something that I slept on for probably a week. Leaving the frame like that would destroy my ocd.

Last edited:
In that time, a ride to FOD see myself have a big off that put me off the bike for a few months.

Grade 3 ac ligament tear in my should and a raised clavicle bone.

I decided to get the bike fully repainted with a few upgrades. It was booked in for January 23

A final ride at Afan for the year for me before it gets her transformation.

IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_6277.jpeg

New brakes sourced after a few months of looking.

NOS magura mt7 racelines.

413844D2-1409-4247-AF4C-0B983C1B93FA.jpeg

With the date for the re spray approaching, it was time to strip the frame and forks completely.

It was kind of sad to see the bike in this state. Even though the rear half of the bike was volt, it was quite ‘greeny’ in colour compared to the raceline yellow.

IMG_6929.jpeg

I wanted to have fading paint again with more of a blue up front and flo yellow at the rear. I had an idea in my head that I wanted. A few pictures and samples were shown and I was happy with my decision.

So off to the painters the frame goes.

Stripped naked! The point of no return.

IMG_4131.jpeg IMG_4132.jpeg IMG_4140.jpeg

With the front forks being converted to 170mm, I wanted to upgrade the rear.

I managed to buy a brand new rock shox super deluxe ultimate 230x60 for a bargain price of £100. The bottom bearing on the stanchion was the wrong size, but I knew this already.

IMG_7001.jpeg
IMG_7002.jpeg

Some updates from the painter!

IMG_4146.jpeg
IMG_4147.jpeg
IMG_4151.jpeg

This started to look exactly how I imagined.

The rear shock I had bought was then sent off to TF Tuned to have the right stanchion put on, a meg neg and set up to my weight and style of riding.

IMG_7524.jpeg

A week later more updates from the painter.

i was seriously impressed with how it turned out. No decals have been used, it’s all paint.

Lee @ LA Bespoke paint work has done an amazing job.

IMG_4202.jpeg
IMG_4204.jpeg
_albumtemp.jpeg
_albumtemp.jpeg

I really couldn’t wait to get this built up to see what it would look like as a full frame.

Last edited:
I wanted to let the paint harder properly before getting the frame built up.

Kinetic bearing kit ordered and all brand new frame protection from trek was ordered.

I’m pretty mechanically minded when it comes to bikes, but I wanted my LBS to press the bearings in for me and build the frame up. Also they supplied and fitted an invisiframe kit. Had to protect the beautiful paintwork.

IMG_7968.jpeg

Whilst it was at the LBS it was time to put the forks together. Full service with 170mm upgrade.

IMG_7880.jpeg

New boots!

IMG_7726.jpeg

Renthal fat bar 35’s and Raceface turbine r stem.

IMG_8143.jpeg

Hope fortus 30 with hope pro 5’s

IMG_8327.jpeg

Slowing building the bike up

IMG_8324.jpeg
IMG_8332.jpeg
IMG_8333.jpeg

And on its wheels for the first time in months.

IMG_8354.jpeg

With the bike back on its wheels, it’s time to send the bike off to my LBS for the finishing touches.

Back