Trades people...?

Re:

construction is booming at the moment(great for me) but rates are just getting back to were they were 7 years ago
pay the money to get the men or wait for another recession where we get screwed by everyone ,rates more than halfed did that happen in any other industry dont think so
plus if self employed you get no holiday pay no sick pay dont get paid when it rains

but as i said before the rates are just getting to where they where 7 years ago so i have not had a pay rise in all that time i been working for low rate s less than what i earned 10 years ago because we get screwed and no one gives a f***
rates should be well more in my opion as a brickie

you,ve all had it easy last few years we got screwed

Mike the brickie

Re:

As hinted at somewhere else, there's so many new build projects all over the country, and not enough labour, or at least the skilled guys can pick and choose where they work. A local new housing estate that's being built halted for a good while as they couldn't get builders.

As another self employed person, I'd just like to echo what Mike said. No sick pay, pension, holiday etc so you have to try and save to cover these things. I have a couple of customers that really muck me about, want to change pre-arranged days at the drop of a hat and sometimes don't give me the hours they agreed to. They also happen to be ex civil servants with cast iron pensions, and investments.

Just saying. When a new customer offers us a job we have to try and work out if they're genuine or another time waster. I agree though, that common courtesy says you should at least politely decline the work, rather than not make contact at all.....

Where did money come into this?

I'm happy to pay over the odds for good work, I was merely asking why trades people don't turn up for appointments!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Builders don’t get paid to provide quotes. When I was self employed I could only go in the evenings and weekends. I never trusted the online check a trade, I know way to many false reviews, these include car garages, bike shops, builders etc etc. Good companies are not always the ones advertised and always busy or too busy or the cheapest...... hold fire, ask your friends. It’s who you know not what you know.

longun":pf9byvej said:
Builders don’t get paid to provide quotes.

Even when I book people in without them giving me a quote beforehand, they still let you down or at least put you back a few days in many instances.

It's just the way things go these days - if you're a good tradesman, you will be in high demand and need to be very very organised if you don't want to let people down. In the past, logic stated that a busy man would take on another employee and grow from there, but with the market still being so tight and unpredictable, many seem to want to stay as a "1 man band" and just subcontract a few bits out instead.

yup, were really struggling to find trainees apprenticeships at present. either they want cheap labour or dont actually do the jobs required to complete an nvq framework. not many willing to actually invest.

keep plugging away, go to the local merchants and ask there, many great links are found within the industry. I know guys who dont advertise at all. have faith young grass hopper.....and the patience of a saint ;)

My_Teenage_Self":3kcxtkxy said:
Preamble; I intend no disrespect to those in the 'trades', plumbers, electricians etc. This is not a rant. Honest!

We're planning to re-do our kitchen, it needs the ceiling skimmed (the first room of the whole house), fuse box moved, and the boiler moving too.

I've spoken to 4 Gas & heating companies, 4 electricians, and 3 plasterers ( I rang a LOT more, but these are the only ones that answered, or got back to me) All said they'd be happy for the work, and all agreed to come out and quote for it.

Between my wife and I, we've been in for all of their appointments, and we've said all the way 'whatever is easiest for you' to fit into their schedules. ONE heating guy and ONE electrician turned up. No plasterers and a total of 9 no shows?!

We've wasted 9 hours of our life waiting for them, plus missed work and time travelling home.

Why is this happening? ALL were on checkatrade with 9.5+ scores. Are they all so swamped for work that they can afford to blow us off like that?

What's going on? :(

Dropped you a PM as I'm local and know a couple of trades

Back