Touring bike building advise wanted

Well this is showing to be more complicated than first anticipated, lots to consider, I think it's definitely looking like road parts is the way to go.

Finding a suitable frame and wheels is going to be a challenge too, I imagine a good set of touring wheels don't pop up too often.

Alison

Re:

Alison":2ck0810g said:
Well this is showing to be more complicated than first anticipated, lots to consider, I think it's definitely looking like road parts is the way to go.

Finding a suitable frame and wheels is going to be a challenge too, I imagine a good set of touring wheels don't pop up too often.

Alison

Where are you located and what size wheels are you thinking of? If you are thinking 700C and live in north america you could get a decent frame from Nashbar. If you are thinking 26 inch then a Surly Long Haul Trucker for 26 inches would be good. There are a number of other decent steel touring frames around - Soma makes one, Kona makes one. The Pake C'muter can be built into a decent touring bike. Velo Orange makes the Campeur frame for touring.... Most of those are for 700C wheels. The Salsa Vaya can be a good touring bike.

Touring wheels need to be strong, but they aren't that difficult to come up with. Lots of people use Deore hubs and rhynolight rims for 26 inch touring wheels. I built a set of XT hubs with Mavic A319's and good spokes. They are very tough wheels. Sun CR18's are cheaper rims but tough as well. I'd go with hand built wheels myself. If you want some period looking wheels check out Velo Orange. I believe their RAID rim is their tough touring one. You can get factory built ones in pairs there with their own hubs.

I am thinking 700c and live in England, it might be worth me sourcing hubs and rims separately and getting my LBS to build them

Places like sjscycles and thorn will have stacks of suitable bits. Spa Cycles also shift a lot of touring gear.

Some of the current crop of dawes galaxy bikes might fit the bill as well.

Most mid range road bikes come with pretty well specced wheels and are usually the first thing to be upgraded by their owners.

These wheels can then be had quite cheap via ebay and so on as they are not the usual brands. Formula hubs and 123 branded rims etc.

Bar end shifters are the cure all for mixing components up and even if you only have the mounts, you can fit your own shifters to suit.

Heres mine from a previous build - Jagwire mounts and Shimano 8spd 600:

weight_wheeny_161.jpg

Re:

A few other things worth mentioning from own experience (I also built my own touring bike using a cheap hybrid bike as starting point):

-depending on the wheels/hubs you choose, it might condition the frame you need, as rear road hubs are 130mm wide while trekking/mtb hubs are 135mm.
-if choosing road wheels, beware of spoke count. The more, the stronger. Mtb/trekking wheels come usually with 32 or even better 36 spokes. It's hard to find that spoke count in road wheels.
-for touring, but this is personal, I find the ideal crankset gearing in the middle point, that is, trekking cranksets at 48-38-28. The standard mtb (42-32-22) is a bit too low and the triple road (usually 52-42-30 or similar) too high.
-road brakes are ok-ish in terms of braking power when fully loaded but leave hardly any space for mudguards or thick tires (32mm or higher), both a must in a do-it-all touring bike. Therefore, better get a frame with canti studs or disk mounts, both compatible with STI levers.
-bar-end shifters are ideal for touring since they work on friction at front (so it does not matter mtb or road derailleur) but unfortunately nowadays only come for 10/11 speed for the rear and only in syncro mode. Chains for 10 or higher speed are not durable enough for long distance touring. Also, they are ridiculously expensive.

Finally, in case your son changes his mind, I was also in favour of drop bars for my touring bike, and so I have it now configured (and it looks way cooler than flat bars!). However, with time and personal experience, I find flat bars more versatile for touring because:
-shifters are waaaaaay cheaper than STIs or bar-ends, no matter how many speeds.
-you can easily mix and match shifters and brake levers depending on taste or budget. With STIs, when one breaks, you need to change everything!
-bikes like to fall when you are not looking, and STIs are quite exposed. Flat bar shifters are better protected. IT is also easier to put the bike upside-down for those on-the-road repairs.
-the extra hand positions of a drop bar can also be achieved in a flat bar installing long bar ends, and grips like the Ergon make them super-comfortable.
-the advantage of an ergonomic position against wind with drop bars is negligible if you are touring with wide fully loaded panniers in a 25 kg bike.
-when putting the bike on a train, or bus, or in a box for a plane, or park together with other bikes, the flat bar can leave the bike in a much more compact size than a drop bar.
-since drop bars are narrower (42-44cm vs 60cm or bigger for a flat bar) the free space for all the gadgets travelers like to carry is greatly reduced (speedometer, handlebar pannier, GPS, bell, lights, etc.)

No matter what you do, show pictures of the final build!

Re:

I'd also think about adding a set of interrupter levers to the brake system for your son for a bit of added safety and convenience.

Back