Took some time, but....Climbmax time

Mike E.

Old School Hero
Grabbed this frame from Roy some time ago. Had previously been living out East.
Add the building of a shed (to build bikes in), etc, etc, and this one has taken a while.

Built with parts I had and a donor bike.
Fork came from Bruce Gordon....have you ever tried to find a 1" diameter threaded fork that still has at least 8.5" long??? Not easy. Hoped for a Gator, but quickly gave up that needle in a haystack effort.

1990 Climbmax 20.5"
XT thumbies, der's, crankset, rear wheel.
LX brakes (off my expresso) with boosters
Syncros post....decals rubbed off, so Paul won't have to cringe :)
Answer A-tac stem....found this in the metal dumpster at work attached to a piece-o-crap bike. Score!
Answer Taperlite bar. Was the first 'big' upgrade I did to my first bike back in '93. It was black, but I took it to work and had it annodized gold...set of LX cranks that were also annodized have long been retired.

Had a ControlTech stem and Zoom bar that I was going to use, but when I found the A-tac, figured may as well.
Don't mind the giant headset spacer...all I had. Have to take it to work to get machined down....no spares in my parts bins.

Anyway, here she is....original paint and all :)

Re:

awesome!!! you finally got it on the road/trails.
we should meet up for a ride some time.
would like to see it in person.

Yup, took a long time.
Good pointer on building it up with the original paint....looks pretty good me thinks. Maybe jimbo has some Climbmax decals...those are the only really worn out ones.

Mike E.":1jyze99n said:
Syncros post....decals rubbed off, so Paul won't have to cringe :)

*ahem* can someone explain Paul's hatred of Syncros??? :?
best be rubbing off the Syncros from the non-drive chain stay! ;)

lovely looking gate BTW! :LOL: congrats!

"best be rubbing off the Syncros from the non-drive chain stay! "

I know....it came that way, so probably just keep it on there. :)
Not sure about the Syncros thing.....probably not really a 'thing', but he never spec'd his bikes with the stuff. Dunno...maybe Roy can chime in.
My LBS on the other hand had every Brodie or DeKerf blinged right out with RaceFace and Syncros stuff back in the day. Total westcoast treatments....so sexy.

Back