Today's ROAD ride

Re:

On holiday in the Peaks, staying near Bakewell, so I thought I'd do a few climbs, as you do.

Had my book of 100 greatest climbs, so it would be rude not to, wouldn't it? :LOL:

So, set off, downhill to start which was nice

IMG_20180805_094204 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Before tackling Rowsley Bar, a bit hard. No run up, just ramping up and I was soon on my bottom gear of 39x26. The worst bit was the double hairpin. However, I made it ok, in the back of my mind though was that I thought this was the easiest climb, having driven up a few in a car scouting mission a couple of days previously. The view.

IMG_20180805_101326 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180805_101352 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then back down to Rowsley, and on to Matlock where there were a couple of 'ills to punish myself on! :LOL:

Firstly, Riber Road, rising up to Riber Castle which by all accounts is in a sorry state financially. Having been bought for squillions then the owner ran out of money doing up. Anyway, I digress.
This climb I feared most, for it's steepness. A narrow residential - to start - road, I had to use the whole road to get around the hairpins.

IMG_20180805_104052 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

But I made it, easier than I remember. The it rose up steeper, I hadn't remembered that bit. However, I grovelled up it, and took a couple of shots when I got to the top.

IMG_20180805_104957 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180805_105742 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then back down, I took a photo overlookng Matlock

IMG_20180805_105955 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Doesn't look it, but it's tricky walking in shoe plates on this steep section.

Around the back of Matlock Bath I went, the Sunday traffic was horrendous, a mecca for people to meet, especially bikers. There seemed to be a Honda Gold Wing meeting going on. And some sort of Pirats of the Caribbean thing. Or the locals are just funny buggers! Along with the plastic bikes, I spotted something a bit nice, and shiny.

IMG_20180805_111449 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Out-chromed! Git! :LOL: Suzuki 2-stroke 500 :cool:

Back to Matlock I went, and up Bank Road, straight up climb in the middle of town, it shouldn't be too bad, should it? And so it proved not to be. I wasn't struggling on this one! Looking back down it,

IMG_20180805_112434 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Carrying on over the top, along the road towards Chesterfield, I was hoping to cut across to Chatsworth House. Using my gps on the phone proved to be a godsend, helping me find the best way to get about.
So after the climbing, it was nice to ride along the top of some,

IMG_20180805_115319 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then after a glorious descent towards Chatsworth, I was there. Looking busy, heaving with cars, I was glad to be this far from it all!

IMG_20180805_120850 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Now heading for Hope, I bumped into some locals as they turned out of a road, and I chatted with them for a couple of minutes just to confirm my directions. Then as a tractor pulling a cart of hay came past, I bade them farewell and chased after it! :LOL: :LOL:
You just have to try, don't you?!
Onto Hope, into Castleton, and the one I ws dreading, 73km in and with a headwind, I was on Winnats Pass.

IMG_20180805_125923 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180805_130615 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Been up here on an mtb a few years back, but my first time on a road bike. Ashamed/embarassed to say, I had to stop half way up, ran out of breath! Legs! Then I made it the rest of the way ok. Taking a photo looking down from the road over the top of Mam Tor.
Top of Winnats in the background.

IMG_20180805_132811 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I started getting cramp in my thighs as I took this. Still, not long to lunchtime so that helped. Over the top of Mam Tor, lovely descent! :cool:

IMG_20180805_132937 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Hope valley, Edale. Where I saw around 40 Monkey bikes! :shock: Obviously a run going on.

IMG_20180805_134352 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Around Edale, where the cafe I was at yesterday (a 6hr mtb ridehttp://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vi ... 8&start=80 ) was closed. So had to carry on to Hope, and a well earned lunch. 86km so far, in 3 1/2hrs. I'm slow. And old! :facepalm:

IMG_20180805_140524 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180805_140544 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

The bike got an admiring glance from a rider on a modern Bianchi. :D

Knowing I had around 20km to go, I had a second coffee and both my bottles topped up with water, before putting some drink tablets in them.

Set off again, and looking back over Hope Valley, where I'd come from

IMG_20180805_150633 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

On the road to Cressbrook, some more stunning views!

IMG_20180805_153631 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

With a bike in the way! :LOL:

IMG_20180805_154306 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Then the last bit, heading into Cressbrook, bafore the last climb of Monsal head, in the far distance

IMG_20180805_154938 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

An comparatively easy climb, up to a pub and an ice cream van! :cool:

Had to have one! I just did!

IMG_20180805_161317 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

While I admired the view

IMG_20180805_161222 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Best bit is knowing I had a half mile descent to where was staying! :cool:

Pleased with that, but for Winnats fail.

104km in total, and felt all of that, too!

Mike

jackosbournesnr":27ywfgwj said:
Looks fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Is that a new Bike or did you get the cracked one repaired?

It's a new one mate. The other is a wall hanger sadly.

Mike

Re: Re:

NeilM":2g511c8k said:
Amazing.

Makes my Scottish efforts look feeble.

Nothing feeble about riding anywhere in Scotland Neil!

Mike

Awesome pictures Mike and the bike's not bad either lol in fact it's beautiful, love the colours.

Inspired me to get up Matlock way.

Today I completed my Banana build and it's been on my mind worrying about the weight of the thing.

Fully loaded it's gonna be close to 13+kg that's with under seat bag, garmin, mounts etc and comparing that to my 8kg CAAD 12 naturally I was worried.

It was almost dark so I made a mad dash for it to get out and back before I got nicked :roll: :LOL:

I chose some really steep hills not far from me, some go over a 10% incline.

I struggle on the CAAD 12 with an 11-28 cassette, but with a 3.5kg weight penalty and 11-25t cassette has got me worried.

So I went out and just wanted to see if I could climb my local hill training roads.

The bike felt smooth and quick from the off, first hill, unknown territory, and she managed pretty well.

I did about 5 in all each getting steeper and steeper, the last one I almost had to stop but I kept pushing.

I even noticed a speed increase on the flat on the way home and I had to check if it was reading kph instead of mph lol.

I got back wondering, wishing, could it be possible that the heavy steel Banana beats my 8kg aero Cannondale CAAD 12?

I checked Strava and holy Moses I had only gone and smoked all my previous best times on all my steepest hills :shock: How is this even possible?

The tyres? .. Fresh legs? .. I am thinking the cassette has something to do with it. There is no 28t cassette anymore so I cannot sit there spinning going backwards, I have to grind and I think this is responsible for the speed increase.

I never expected that this evening :LOL: what a lovely surprise.

So much for spinning, light weight, aero palava, whack a 11-25t in on an old steel frame bike and go set some new PB's. :cool:

Some images I took a while ago, they don't do the hills justice but 10% is still 10% no matter where ya are, even harder when ya weigh 16 n half stone :LOL:

Attachments

• snap732.jpg
    snap732.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 253
  • snap733.jpg
    snap733.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 253
  • snap734.jpg
    snap734.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 253
Re:

I know those roads well mike - our back yard. That's one helluva ride, youre a better man than me, tackling em all in one go.
Have to confess though to never having had the balls to do Winnats. Got as far as Speedwell Cavern, which is the preamble, and baled there

Back