Today's Ride

Re:

Too bad about the chain, but nice bike! I use SRAM chains with a master link, and carry a spare master link and a small chain tool for exactly that reason. About 6 years ago I had a pretty long push to get home from that. Today-Friday-A ride to the Bay to visit my old Jag at my friend's shop and back-about an hour and a half of steady flats riding...

Attachments

• My '62 Jag.jpg
    My '62 Jag.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 446
  • bike bridge.jpg
    bike bridge.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 446
  • RR Drawbridge.jpg
    RR Drawbridge.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 446
last ride of 2016 and really enjoyed it, oldskool music on the mp3 player, crimbo sweets in the bag, a nice pace to ride and pleasantly mild outside

happy new year to you all

xx

Re:

Today-Saturday-A New Year's Eve ride into the woods West of town on an old Railroad grade and sometimes path. They built a bridge over the one ravine that was formerly too steep to ride through-excellent! This makes the whole loop rideable. Kinda chilly out, about 52 F. and sunny...

Attachments

• Rest stop.jpg
    Rest stop.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 399
  • New bridge.jpg
    New bridge.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 399
Re:

Today-Monday-A chilly day, about 49 F. (9C.) and partly sunny. A ride up to Tamarancho today, about 900' climb. Met a a guy and his son, visiting up from LA-he 's the one in the T shirt and shorts. I did get him to admit he was a bit cold...

Attachments

• Goldman Trail.jpg
    Goldman Trail.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 378
  • LA boy.jpg
    LA boy.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 378
Re:

First ride of 2017. Dunno what was going on, there were all these people looking at me like I had 2 heads.

n3SgLT9l.jpg

Re:

Nah, stock tyres. Geax Saguaros in 2.0. You need a decent amount of tread left, but on packed snow you're fine. Once you start hitting sheet ice, yeah, studs would be useful (and avoid the bruising), but I've learned my lesson on that - avoid sheet ice like the plague.

FWIW, if they behave anything like studded tyres on cars, studded tyres will be useless on anything other than ice and snow, and will be liable to throw you off on the road.

A bigger issue is ice buildup on your cleats if you need to get off and walk (like on that downhill section between the trees that finishes with a sheet of ice and which I should have got off and walked the first time). Not sure if spuds are better than crank brothers stuff in that respect, but I doubt it.

Re:

Today-Thursday-50 F. and sunny, so up to the West of town about 900'...

Attachments

• Sitting in the sun.jpg
    Sitting in the sun.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 325
Back