Today's Ride

Went to my favorite local trail this morning. This has been my go to rider this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 504
longun":3itzq5vx said:
managed a few hours in the sun and saddle today, great excuse to ride the rebuilt diablo

hoping the weather stays nice for a while

Nice one Longun! Cool bike, too :cool:

Pat, those Ford coupes just hit the spot every time! :cool: Thanks for sharing buddy ;)

Mike

Re: Re:

RadNomad said:
Wow cool cars Pat.. Especially the super clean silver camaro with vinyl roof.
You seem to be riding daily, how many miles do you clock up (monthly ave for example)?

I ride between 3-4000 miles a year, mostly dirt and straight up, because that's what we've got here. The last two days have been too hot for me to ride here, about 94 F.- Each day's ride usually takes 1- 1 1/2 hours and usually goes up at least 900', so the distance isn't nearly as far as if it were flat miles- about 10-12 miles daily, mostly... :)

Re:

Today-Tuesday-It's cooled down to the low 80's today, much better riding weather. Three days ago there was a 10 acre fire up at Tamarancho, so I rode up there this morning to check out the burn area-the Goldman Trail acted as a fire break, and it burned downhill from there, until the water bombers and firemen got it put out...

Attachments

• Goldman Trail.jpg
    Goldman Trail.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Fire Break.jpg
    Fire Break.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Red Hill and the Bay.jpg
    Red Hill and the Bay.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 436
Re:

Today-Wednesday-What a difference a day makes! 65 F. and really windy here today. We hugged the ridge to the West of town for the climb to stay out of the wind- it worked out well...

Attachments

• Top of the hill.jpg
    Top of the hill.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 402
  • Along the way.jpg
    Along the way.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 402
Re:

Today-Sunday-We are in the middle of our (hopefully) last heat wave of the year, so out early for a short climb above town to the West...

Attachments

• Above Fairfax.jpg
    Above Fairfax.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 365
Re:

Nice photos, Pat! :cool:

Went out this morning for a blast on the big wheeler!

WP_20160925_11_13_04_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

After the long slog up to here, out of the house straight into a ten minute climb, I just had to take that photo!

Across the top of the downs, with some nice wind assistance, ace! To Chanctonbury Ring, a local high point.

WP_20160925_11_46_34_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Along a bit further, again wind assisted, on the big chainring, to my favourite bit of local singletrack,

WP_20160925_11_55_16_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Narrow, extremely rooty in places, and very satisfying to ride! Which, at the end, opens out to this view,

WP_20160925_11_58_08_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Lovely day for a ride! Down this ever steepening singletrack to a gate, so very slow speed, just managed to stop. Would be interesting to see how I'd cope on a bike with cantis. Braking constantly for a while up to the gate.

After this, I rode through a local village, Steyning, then a - tougher that I remember - up and over - before starting this climb.

WP_20160925_12_18_20_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I must get on that motocross course in the background, one of these days. Climbing up to the horizon, it took a while, and was steep to start with, but made it, thanks in part to the triple chainset I have on this bike.
Thank GF for that set up next time you speak, Pat! ;) Would have probably gone double rings if it hadn't had a triple as OE.

View from the top

WP_20160925_12_27_17_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Looking back from where I'd come from, Chanctonbury Ring on the right end of that ridgeline. Now into a headwind, thing got a bit harder. And when I was out of the wind, I was climbing!

WP_20160925_12_41_53_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

One last look back at my playground, before heading home on some less interesting trails, for lunch! :p

WP_20160925_12_56_24_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

In the foreground, is part of some major local works , creating a chalk scar right across the area, for an offshore wind farm that is being built. Not good to look at when riding, but it will heal again once finished. Given the choice between that and a nuclear power plant, I know which I'd choose.

Mike

Re:

Nice pics, Mike- I like the variety of terrain you chose for the ride. It looks like rolling, hilly countryside there- what kind of elevation are we talking about on the high bits? Around here, on my 26er I use a triple front 22-32-42, and an 11-34 rear. Some of my friends are using 36 or 38 big cogs on the rear, and a friend that rides a 29er recently put on a 42 big rear cog- but I figure if it's that tough, I'll go faster walking along pushing up that stretch. BITD we were on a ride in the valley west of Fairfax, where we then climbed the ridge to ride back to town. It was really hot that day, about 95 F. and we were riding geared Klunkers with drum brakes-about 40 pounds or so. Fred Wolf had tricked out his Klunker by using a TA crankset triple in the front, with a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub and 6 speed freewheel in the back- 54 SPEEDS. However, when we got to the steepest part of the climb, a grueling steep hill for about 2-3 miles, Charlie Kelly and I dismounted and started pushing, and Fred pulled ahead briefly as he worked his way down through all those gears. By the time he got to the lowest gear, we had caught him and pushed past easily- I'll never forget the look on his face that day... :cool:

Re:

Thanks Pat,

Chanctonbury Ring is at 238m above sea level, the second highest of the ride, here

WP_20160925_12_27_17_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Is at 180 metres . Don't have Strava, so nothing more accurate I'm afraid, than the map I just looked at! :LOL:

Terrain here in the south of England is chalky and flinty. Have to make the most of the dryness, as compacted wet chalk is glacial, so easy to come off!
Bottom gear on this bike, along with most of my others, is 22 x 28. A few have a 26 on the back.
Like you say, anything too steep is just easier to walk :roll:

Mike

Re:

Still riding in shorts. Not too bad considering October's knocking on the door.

Attachments

• sky and field.jpg
    sky and field.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 322
Back