Tips for a MTB race on a retro bike

afalconr

Retro Newbie
Hello, I'll sign up for a MTB race next month with a Scott Blackstone (picture has old Schwalbe Hurricane tires). I've owned some Schwalbe Smart Sam Performance 26x2.25 for fun rides.

I heard putting few PSI to the inner tubes would do the job. Any other tips should I take into consideration?

Thanks!

1663327381786.png

I did the downhill at the Malverns classic a few weeks back. Came 5th out of 8 so very pleased.

I came off on the practice but my fear was, apart from lack of suspension, the lack of grip on the Smoke/Dart tyres. So probably my suggestion would be modern tyres and make sure you’re happy with the brakes (i had maguras so were pretty good)

I use 35 pounds of pressure in my bikes like that to race. This is to avoid pinch flats as there is no suspension to absorb shocks. I got lots of pinch flats before I did this. If your tubeless then lower pressure is ok. If it’s possible on downhill sections lay out as flat as you can and coast. You will catch riders with suspension bikes that are upright and peddling. Use your brakes as little as possible. Pedal as much as you can instead of coasting, especially around corners. You don’t have to pedal hard on corners but over distance it adds up. If it’s a mass start get as far to the front as you can. On the first climb weak riders will have to push and so will everyone behind them if it’s single track. Sometimes getting off and pushing is faster. Should be fun.

Back