Tips/advice: Just bought a 1947 Raleigh Lenton Sports

Here is an article on the Raleigh Lenton Sports/Clubman:

http://www.ipernity.com/blog/286349/629143

It's confusing (Raleigh liked that!) as the original Lenton Sports was renamed the Clubman. And should not be confused with the later and much more common Lenton Sports. Yours is the original version.

All Raleighs of this era were still dipped in black enamel regardless of their final finish colour. So the Polychromatic Green was sprayed over the black with the obvious adhesion issues. And these early polychromatic finishes were quite fragile. You'll probably find the black underneath is in fine condition and can be rubbed down to a good gloss.

I sure wouldn't powdercoat a machine like that, it's like dipping it in candy floss and fills in all of the lugwork. Yuck!

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

FYI the bike isn't really going in a hedge, I was just poking fun at the harsh comment.

I was going to get it powder coated but will speak to this Mario Vaz chap as I'm still open to ideas. I just moved to London which makes it more convenient.

I need to email H Lloyd as they don't seem to have quite the right ones. I'll see what they say though.

I also came across this interesting video showing the Raleigh factory only a year or two before my bike was made and it shows them dipping the frames in enamel (as kohl mentioned) which I'd never previously heard of.

Re:

This machine is worth the effort of "doing right" as there were not many made. And fewer sold in Britain when the purchase tax on a new, complete bike was something like 33% (thank you, Mr. Atlee!). Rarer still to find one in complete and original condition. Again, do not confuse this was the much more common later Lenton Sports, it's a far better quality bicycle.

Vaz would be ideal since they do proper repaints to the kind of good everyday standards these were original finished to without the cost and ridiculous turn around time of other frame painters.

See my Ipernity article and look at the completely original, near mint example to see the potential, original colour and transfers etc.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

In the catalogue the Clubman has 71 degree head and seat but not sure yours look parallel? More like 71/73

Just want you to be sure it's a clubman before committing to decals

Yours is a Lenton SPORTS if it is a 21-inch frame. When it was renamed Lenton CLUBMAN in 1948 the size went to 22 inches

Angles were 71 deg parallel on both until 1950 when it changed to 73/71

See the photos of the near mint original SPORTS in my article to see the decals... I think the same pattern was used on the 1948-50s Raleigh Lenton Sports

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

So pre 1950 (receipt states 1947) with what looks like 73/71 angles and decals that say Lenton Sports.

Just to clarify, do we agree this is a lovely Lenton Sports and NOT a Clubman?

Re:

With those lugs and if it is a 21" frame (measured centre to top) and says Lenton Sports in a dramatic "flash" transfer on the seat tube, it is indeed a Raleigh Lenton Sports. They took the same machine, made it 22" and renamed it Lenton Clubman for the 1948 model year.

To add to the confusion that depicted in the 1948 catalogue (Raleigh's first post-war one) as a Lenton Clubman is actually the Lenton Sports. The Clubman had a completely different seat tube transfer. There are no brochures showing any of these rare 1946-47 Raleighs which again adds to the general head scratching over all this.

The Clubman was announced in late summer 1947 so I suspect that's why this was sold to the original customer as one.. but no doubt at least on this side of the Atlantic, this is a 1947 Raleigh Lenton Sports.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Re:

I have the 'rudge aero' version of the same bike from 46/47 it should be a polychrome orange but mine also has the black primer showing through together with fading & rust spots. I chose to just clean & wax mine I used a colour match car wax which has brought the colour out a bit more & gives a little protection ...maybe an alternative to painting?

Latest posts

Back