Raleigh RRA vs Lenton vs Sports frame weight

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
I realised that I had all three in 21" stripped down and thought I would weigh them out of interest, the RRA is 1947 and the other two 1950 so pretty comparable and the results are in and counted so in reverse order to the nearest 0.1 lb.

Sports 6 lbs or 2.7 kg

Lenton 5 lbs or 2.3 kg

RRA 4.2 lbs or 1.9 kg

No surprise the Sports is heaviest with its gaspipe tubing but the other two are both Reynold 531 and the weight saving looks like it is in the lugs which are scuptured and thinner section on the RRA. As you can see there is much work to be done (and money to be spent).

IMG_1156 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Can I leave this here to compare? Late 1940's too

frame-12-jpg.519138

Hi Mark, post war RRAs (Model 26) were made only in 1/2" sizes so yours should be either 20.5" or 21.5". Throughout their production run (1947 to 1954) the seat stays varied in thickness (some being 1/2" at the top but most were 9/16").
Yours has the pre-war RRA transfers so it's possibly a very early delivery and it could be that they made 21" frames if that's what it measures.
The catalogues don't tell the full story, being a Nottingham lad I've spoken with many ex Raleigh chaps and there were many variations to be had if you had contacts in the right places!

Good luck with your restorations.
Tony.

@Mark Manley, the RRA Frame would be full 531 butted tubing including Seatstays & Chainstays. The Lenton would be Plain Gauge 531 tubing on the main triangle only, all the other tubing would be as the Sports Model

Back