Tips/advice: Just bought a 1947 Raleigh Lenton Sports

Re:

Mine was definitely green and not orange. It's way beyond polishing though, practically all of the paint layer is gone.

Re:

Yep yours would have been green with a slightly darker green head tube ...the rudge versions were orange & I think the humber ones were lilac ?? Can you still get the correct decals? No one does the rudge ones so mine will have to have to stay as it is. Love to see the finished article ...Good luck!!

The left-hand side is the correct place for the UK because the light illuminates the curb and broken glass in the gutter at night. With the light at the top of the handlebars does not illuminate the road ahead but helps being seen. There is no rear light mounting though, just the reflector on the original cream bakelite mudguards.

Midlife":1lmfib0f said:
Can I ask a really silly question...... Why is the lamp bracket on the left hand fork? Are the pictures from the US market?

Thanks

Shaun

I have a 1946 Lenton sports purchased for £19/19- (not sure about the number of shillings) but the bike was eventually delivered in early 1946, just before my father was called up but the FW alloy hub is 1950. I guess dad had to wait for the war to end and Raleigh to revert back to bike making, before he got his bike nearly two years later.

Back