time trial bike question

Re:

You gotta drill the holes in that chainring bigger to make it look 70 style along with the brakes as that countersinking looks pretty ugly IMO but the frame is pure class :cool:

Re:

Remember riding on Boro after it had been resurfaced & it was literally like a billiard table - tubs singing away even at my pace. I became aware of an approaching engine drone which took ages to get nearer. I didn`t turn round but found myself being overtaken by a tank transporter coming down from Catterick - I got some `encouragement` from the corporal in the passenger seat & could have done my best ever time if I`d tucked in behind him, but I did the honourable thong & he slowly pulled away. I think of it when I`m on that motorway section now.

Re: Re:

julianm":9n0rwm3d said:
Remember riding on Boro after it had been resurfaced & it was literally like a billiard table - tubs singing away even at my pace. I became aware of an approaching engine drone which took ages to get nearer. I didn`t turn round but found myself being overtaken by a tank transporter coming down from Catterick - I got some `encouragement` from the corporal in the passenger seat & could have done my best ever time if I`d tucked in behind him, but I did the honourable thong & he slowly pulled away. I think of it when I`m on that motorway section now.

I wonder if anyone else did....................... :?:

I was never 'lucky' enough to get that :roll:

Have you still got the result sheet?

Re:

No, sorry it`s long gone. I still see them testing on the A168 `red wall` stretch at Allerton Park which was also pretty deceptive in terms of gradient - I think it gave some suvverners a bit of a shock when they had a National on it - late 90`s?

Re: Re:

julianm":capcanvu said:
No, sorry it`s long gone. I still see them testing on the A168 `red wall` stretch at Allerton Park which was also pretty deceptive in terms of gradient - I think it gave some suvverners a bit of a shock when they had a National on it - late 90`s?

It was a lot shallower gradient going up on the Northbound carriageway BITD because the 2 carriageways separated for a distance. Now you have to go up and down the same gradient - and it's a lot harder than it appears!

Even in a 10!

The 25 champs on there was 5-7 years ago?

Remember seeing a rider ( me being his minute man ) with his cranks not only drilled in the flute but also several holes at 90% to the flute, as he heaved away from the start the LH crank sheared at 1 of the holes & base over apex ensued, my drillium antics were more carefully thought out from then on. As stated in an earlier post the nut holding the handle bars could effect the weight outcome far greater than all the drilling's on the bike.

Re:

Just out of interest, with all this drilling going on to the components did manufacturers at the time ever produce drilled components or offer lighter weight components? Was aluminium being used on bikes in the 70's ( I was born in 1980 so have no idea!!)

Yes they did, brake levers, chain rings, cranks, seat posts, stems etc. More of a fashion statement really as using titanium instead if steel saved more weight lol

Shaun

Back