time trial bike question

ah i see yes, plus no one else around to bother. rims look aero ish and pedals/clips look interesting.
a really good photo to show body positioning ian cheers. what were your PB's fellar's ? on these not with tribars

The 'lively ride' of an USWB TT bike was supposedly a faster one, but whether it actually was was debatable. My Macklam was a 75 parallel frame with probably 15.5" chainstays. The wheelbase was around 37.5". I could use narrow tyres but had to deflate them a bit to get wheels in and out - but that was an accepted thing back then. I fitted a double chainset to it eventually and used it for all sorts of things - but I was young and supple in those days and could put up with the harsh ride and fierce position.

Here it is in action on Boro' in a 1986 Harrogate Week 25 in a howling northerly gale. A windy Thursday evening, 34 minutes out and 25 back.

Note pump and bottle cage. I must have been going to ride a 50 at the weekend!

I remember reading, in the early 80's I think, about a group of top testers going to France to ride the Duo Normand Grand Prix de Gentlemen (one rider a veteran, the other, the pacer, a younger top rider or pro). The French all laughed themselves silly when they saw the British short wheelbase bikes - but the Brits had the last laugh when the won most of the awards!

Attachments

• Harrogate week 25 1986.jpg
    Harrogate week 25 1986.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 386
Great pic Old Ned - KOM jersey on the Boro'? Of course you only had your head down for a few seconds out of the 59 minutes!
Bet you could have done with a bigger gear on the way back.

Nice to hear we did so well at the Normand as it always seemed to me that given our huge pool of testers we never really matched up to the Continentals.

Mark.

daccordimark":1p2kq631 said:
Great pic Old Ned - KOM jersey on the Boro'? Of course you only had your head down for a few seconds out of the 59 minutes!

Nice to hear we did so well at the Normand as it always seemed to me that given our huge pool of testers we never really matched up to the Continentals.

Mark.
It was actually a plain white jersey, I was suffering with measles at the time :roll: Nobody bothered back then about all the hype about wearing 'special' jerseys. It was the nearest one could get to worshipping your TdF heroes without wearing a trade team jersey which was, of course, totally BANNED!

Photographers always seem to catch riders the second they put their head down to check their gears - why!?

Boro' was hillier than people who never rode it imagine. Coming back up 'The Gibbet' past Boroughbridge could be very hard, especially if there was a Southerly 'breeze' in the last few miles of a 100.

Ask me how I know........................... :cry:

BTW, the photo is one of Nick Loasby's.

Old Ned":1m828cft said:
daccordimark":1m828cft said:

Mark.
It was actually a plain white jersey, I was suffering with measles at the time :roll: Nobody bothered back then about all the hype about wearing 'special' jerseys. It was the nearest one could get to worshipping your TdF heroes without wearing a trade team jersey which was, of course, totally BANNED!

Photographers always seem to catch riders the second they put their head down to check their gears - why!?

Boro' was hillier than people who never rode it imagine. Coming back up 'The Gibbet' past Boroughbridge could be very hard, especially if there was a Southerly 'breeze' in the last few miles of a 100.

Ask me how I know........................... :cry:

BTW, the photo is one of Nick Loasby's.

The KOM jersey wasn't quite so ironic after all then. I'd always assumed it was pancake flat, like a northern equivalent of the F1 I occasionally managed to get a ride on.

Getting back to the original point I didn't feel like I was going slower when I swapped my British time trial frame for a more relaxed Italian road frame. If anything the extra stiffness of Columbus SL versus Reynolds 531SL was a boon in hilly events as was the better handling.
Mark.

Re:

This chain stays were around 14" with track ends & one had to ankle properly while pedaling otherwise you hit the rear mech.

The pic of me on the PMP cranks was on the hungerford course & time was 57.24 a day when Eddie Adkins did 53.54 I think. I did my ride with a bandage on my finger if you look closely as I lost my nail the day before at work. I was in quite allot of pain with 5 miles to go so slowed quite a bit.

Re:time trial bike queston

The trend for weight saving ( bike that is) became somewhat obsessive to a point of being possibly dangerous Drilling of cranks, chainrings, seatpost, brake & gear levers,brake stirrups, handle bars welded into stem & pinch bolt part cut off, rear mech inner & outer pivot plates drilled, pulley cage plates,brake & gear wire just a 1/4"to 3/8" out beyond pinch bolt, pedal cages, toe strap buttons & just enough length of strap when released to get your foot out. cable eyes on frame made out of little loops of 1/16 welding wire or a suitable size flat washer filed to suit top tube size.front & rear drop outs drilled, bottom leg of rear dropout cut short. Brake stirrup pivot bolts brazed into fork & seat stay bridge & cut off flush( before allen nut brake bolts) even saw stem & handle bars drilled 'uugh) Then came the front brake behind the fork crown internal brake & gear cables, oval seat posts, oval / teardrop frame tubes, gear lever mount on top of down tube, then drilling Out, & in came the LO Pro & on & on it goes

Yep, great times the 70's ............I got my Black and Decker onto anything that could have a hole drilled in it :D

Shaun

Midlife":2vy2n9qg said:
Yep, great times the 70's ............I got my Black and Decker onto anything that could have a hole drilled in it :D

Shaun

Comme ca?

et?

The above were all drilled BITD in '71/72 - and tidied up in 2011!

I also had a seat pin once that was like a colander - but I didn't do it!

Attachments

• 72DaveRussellMar11.10.B.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.10.B.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 72DaveRussellMar11.11.A.jpg
    72DaveRussellMar11.11.A.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 293

Latest posts

Back