Time to try Full Suspension

dyson":14y1gwq7 said:
have you seen the Marin Mount Vision Pro build on the '98 forum? Awesome! Made me want one...

My Marin build will not come close to the cost of that one, but I am already looking forward to starting it.

I have opted for what I believe to be a complete original bike, so will end up replacing everything bar the frame and possibly the Ritchey riser bars over the winter.

Initial plans are a 1x10 config, I will base the gearing on what I need to get over the local hills. I guess I just have to divide the cassette teeth by chain ring teeth I need to use on my existing bikes to calculate the correct cassette to chain ring on the Marin. I am thinking of moving to SRAM for the mech & shifters. I need to find out what single ring crank sets are available and what BB I can use to get the correct alignment.

Build a pair of wheels on M756 hubs with mavic rims, I am looking forward to this :) infact the opportunity to build another pair of wheels is half the reason I have a new project bike..

Avid BB7 front & rear, I am just not sure I can be bothered with hydraulic brakes and my riding style does not need them.

Air shock & forks, might be rockshox might be suntour or Fox. They have to have a lock out feature.

When it is all set up and if I am in love with it I then have a repaint scheme in mind - but this is the final stage and a long way away.

Thanks for everyone's input, see you on the "My Marin build" Thread which will obviously be firmly in the post 1998 section ;).

Re:

Looks pretty good to me for £100, I am just about to set off on the 260 mile round trip to collect it

Re:

260 miles round trip and £15 of LPG and the bike was home, a quick up and down the road was disappointing, it just didn't fit me.

After a day playing "Bikes", OK so it doesn't look much different but I had a few surprises!

The fitted wheels were some no brand stuff, best bit is the rear wheel dishing was 10mm too far to the left! I re-dished the wheel before I realised why the 8 speed cassette wouldn't fit on my XT Paralax hub spare wheel :facepalm: . After I removed the spacer fitted by the previous owner everything went ... better...

New rear brake cable and pads, but the V Brakes fitted are cheap no brand affairs, they do work surprisingly well though. Seat adjusted up and back and the riser bars rotated forward gave me similar measurements to my Hard Tails. Hope hub front wheel fitted and my final pair of NOS Michelin Savane carbon beaded tyres (15 years in my tool box).

First ride out was just awesome, I thought this bike would be an occasional use due to effort sapping rear suspension and weight. Not the case - AT ALL - I wanted to, and could, cane it just as much as my HTs without the chatter or pummeling. OH DEAR this is not what I had planned, a major rethink may be coming up as I suspect this will be my go to bike..... :?: Do I now need three bikes or will I only use two??

Re:

Must admit my FS made anything else redundant for anything other than looking nice or the occasional ride. Wait until you try an even more up to date version! :shock:

B023, you have just made me determined not to try a current FS bike! If a base spec 2001 can leave me agast (at £100 in 2015) I do not want to see what a multi £1000 bike will do.

I shall continue in my sheltered corner of the world and upgrade to .... 2004 spec over time :)

Re:

It's the forks and shock that make the most difference so if you can upgrade those to current standards you'll be laughing.

Latest posts

Back