Time for a rant, prices

Write out 100 times after school:
Things are worth what people are prepared to pay

But seriously there are lots of chancers who think old bikes are some kind of treasure; largely they aren't. An eBay listing with RARE is worth avoiding for starters. Asking prices are no guide to selling prices.
I love my 1995 P7, but in reality it's common as muck and worth less than £100 frame and forks to anyone remotely in the know. Likewise all the other crap stuffing my garage.

Re:

Used to be able to win a few things on ebay with a low bid made fairly early on in the listing, but now I'm finding myself outbid with many days still to go. I guess there's a lot more watchers at the moment, people with time on there hands, and that is pushing prices up.

As for listings with a higher than usual starting price, even for BSOs - well the face to face sales market (such as car boots etc) is dead at the moment so people are just trying it on and seeing if someone will bite.

Re:

In some ways it's nothing new a few years ago maybe 4 or 5 years the prices were quite high on parts people wanted, XT, XTR etc and then its died back down again. I think with the isolation and the government saying you can go for bike rides people want bikes (new or old) and bike parts to build them,there will be plenty out of that new group who want to build a bike from there youth aswell.
Also it'll be a case of supply and demand, as an example i find it really hard to find the one year only Deore XT ll M732 parts so if any come up i'll always pay a little bit more to finish a bike off, compare that to Deore XT M735 from 1990 to around 93/94 ish and there's alot and you can always look around and find a bargain.
My gripe is when they want decent money and can't be bothered to even clean the parts up a bit, you can clearly tell they've just unbolted them off the bike and took some photos and then wonder why it takes a while for it to sell.
But everyone has there own way of doing things.

Re:

If anyone need a project Alu-O of the Orange sort, I may be able to get a 19" one if it is still around.
I can charge you good mamey for it.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2gumg4tz said:
If anyone need a project Alu-O of the Orange sort, I may be able to get a 19" one if it is still around.
I can charge you good mamey for it.

:D
Don’t have a plantation of mamey sapote plants.. wrong continent am afraid :facepalm:

I think the suggestions already made, that people are at home, have time on there hands, have probably bumped the prices up. Plus I have noticed a lot less Old Shimano parts for sale.. very little on eBay

When it comes to ebay I think the prices have always been hit and miss, if anybody wants I'll sell you a RARE RETRO used and torn inner tube from the 90's for 100£ plus postage. :LOL:

Back