Time for a rant, prices

It seems to be more difficult to find bargains these days.. :facepalm:

Car boots
The tip
House clearance
Basically someone who has not got a clue, a desire or care, a bargain maybe found.
But sites like eBay and co.. no chance of getting much of a deal.. not a cats in hells chance. :roll:

I have kind of given up buying stuff. (Retro) Just too dam expensive! The way things are heading my modern bikes will be cheaper to run :(

Could be greed, could be not knowing the value of something, could just be the word Retro.

There are ways to see current selling trends on ebay and the like, if for example a lot of sales are in the retro bicycle section people who are looking to earn money will hunt out anything old style and call it retro and putting a price on it. Of course, regardless of price on the item, if it sells then that is what it is worth, regardless of others wanting it cheaper, obviously if it doesnt then the price will need to come down to sell or wait until prices reach that level.

LGF said above, "even the worst BSO bicycles are fetching silly money" which means they are selling, which surely means that is what they are worth :?

I think some of the retro bike stuff has been underpriced for years compared to the price of something new of equal quality

And people keep using the word 'bargain', like they expect to pay less than what it is actually worth!?

I guess it comes down to how much you are into your bikes, if you want to keep them, or restore them to how you actually want and are passionate about them, then price shouldnt matter :)

Brooklyn Machine Works kit has gone stratospheric, stems in excess of 200/300 pedals in excess of 400.... XTR 950/2 pricing is getting up to m900 prices, XT is also rising significantly.

LeeDevelopment":1ri1ijog said:
Brooklyn Machine Works kit has gone stratospheric, stems in excess of 200/300 pedals in excess of 400.... XTR 950/2 pricing is getting up to m900 prices, XT is also rising significantly.

Things are definitely sky rocketing. But like Mk one says, if it’s selling then that’s it’s price. But I won’t be playing :facepalm:

I'm not playing either, have had messages on Pinkbike, FB and Insta asking if I'm selling any of my Brooklyn kit..... nope.

Re:

I always sell stuff at a reasonable price and won't rip anyone off by putting a massive price tag on it, the issue is some puts a bike up for 500 when it's worth 150, a person the trys to recapture there youth spends 500 and did not do any research on pricing,

Then prices finally settle down and the guy that's bought it now lost a load of money

Prices for most things, apart from petrol, seem to be rising rapidly at moment. Maybe when everyone is allowed out to play again and arent stuck in front of a computer bored prices may start to fall a bit.

Though now and again i look at modern bikes, used to be just downhill bikes but they went really expensive, but most bikes now are what i personally consider expensive, i simply couldnt justify spending that much on a bicycle. In comparison retro bikes to me are a lot better value.

Re: Re:

themountie":272zqgbg said:
I always sell stuff at a reasonable price and won't rip anyone off by putting a massive price tag on it, the issue is some puts a bike up for 500 when it's worth 150, a person the trys to recapture there youth spends 500 and did not do any research on pricing,

Then prices finally settle down and the guy that's bought it now lost a load of money

I can see what you are saying, the lesson here then is do some research in prices before you buy something. Though if the guy bought it for sentimental reasons then i feel price shouldnt really be an issue.

Back