Time for a rant, prices

Re:

Yeah, that was a steal. But it had an ugly dent in the downtube. I would have been tempted to get it if I didn’t spent my budget on that P22 team here.

Re:

KONA - CINDER CONE TAX

This what really frustrates me more than the tax though!

''It is totally original (including the tires), apart from the grips and cables''.

So it's really not totally original then is it! :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
To add my 2 pence worth (sorry now 4 pence), I think that some are right, that once the mass unemployment, depression, realisation that your not 16 anymore, winter and work getting in the way of having a life sets back in, there could be a bonanza. Im wishing for markets flooded with retro kit, supply outstripping demand and prices like a retro Christmas come early for all.

Re:

My mate just sold his 6 year old Specialized Camber in less then 24hrs for £750 and had people queing up behind the buyer. Before Covid it would have made no more than £500/600. Wish I had some to sell!! :LOL:

Its crazy. I bought a Trek Carbon road bike (yes I know but it's on topic) for £400 in February. Same model now (year/colour/slightly lower spec) are now up at £900+ Like others have said, even BSO's that would usually never sell are going for £100 ish, all driven by the fact that the shops sold 3 months worth of stock in 4 weeks!

It's really interesting to see the parallels with other 'worlds' here - on the one hand, these are old bikes that have had their numbers reduced overtime through neglect, loss, breakage, etc., and on the other there are people who now can afford to buy the objects they couldn't afford in their youth.

Exactly the same has happened in the retro car market - ten years ago I bought a perfectly serviceable mk1 MR2 for 650 quid and ran it for several years. To get one in the same state now I'd need at least 5 times that sum! The number of acceptable cars has reduced as rust (mostly) took the ratty ones to the scrapyard in the sky, and the demand increased as 20-somethings turn into 30-somethings with more disposable income and a desire to relive their youth.

In bike land, that equates to people (like me, admittedly) who can now swap in and out the parts they maybe couldn't afford to in the past. Add in the increased demand following recent events and we have something of a perfect storm for interesting, usable retro kit to spike in value.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":pepuwhuy said:
My mate just sold his 6 year old Specialized Camber in less then 24hrs for £750 and had people queing up behind the buyer. Before Covid it would have made no more than £500/600. Wish I had some to sell!! :LOL:

Time to sell my bike me thinks.

Where's the best place to sell a bike at the mo? Gumtree or wait 'till ebay do a max £1 listing fee weekend?

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":2uundcjf said:
We sold that one via Pinkbike but ebay seems even more lucrative although you have to factor in fees.

Ta. I'll stick it on gumtree for now then if it's still here I'll put it on ebay the next time they have a max £1 fees weekend.

Back