Ti Prep or Copperslip?

Then you encounter electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metals. So you still need copperslip.
My Record Alu axle ends corroded in my Ti frame, just enough to give a maddening clicking which took ages to detect.

Fitting Alu BB cups or seatpost into a Ti frame is asking for trouble unless you use grease or copperslip. Possibly you'd get away with it if you lived somewhere dry like Arizona...

Yep, I'd forgotten that joy, mind I grease everything ;)
Carbon fibre can be a prob too - I've a friend with a cheap & nasty seat post stuck (at a slight angle) in his posh road bike. Not a happy bunny.

People always seem to think that just because a material, in this case carbon fibre, doesn't corrode then it won't seize up. I've come across carbon frames with carbon seatposts seized in them purely because of dirt build up. You should always remove a seatpost periodically for cleaning and re-greasing.

And before anyone says anything you can now get a grease made specially for carbon.

Pace RC7 was formulated so it wouldnt cause delamination of the carbon in their forks.
Just been out on Ti road bike for first time this year and had to put up with 'tings' coming from the seat tube or Ti saddle rails. Looks like regreasing/copperslipping again!
Mind, it's nowt compared to creaks and cracks that came from my Pace (even before the seat tube failed).

Back