Thoughts wanted on possible stolen bike...

Hey Laz, thanks for taking the time to write your post. And everyone else also.

I went to get the bike yesterday, definitely legit, definitely a bargain. The guy clearly didn't have a clue, he kept calling it a Pinollo...

It's one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden, light and responsive, and comfortable too. It seems hardly used, as if it was left in a shed for a while, as there is a little rusting to bolts etc. but nothing major at all. It's full campag, veloce 9 speed groupset, chorus headset and bb, even with campag cable housing and a campag chain.

I'm going to take it for a proper spin tomorrow, to put it through it's paces. It'll definitely need some changes, I've already swapped out the seatpost for an aero one, and I need to swap the stem for a slightly longer one, maybe the bars for narrower ones, and probably swap out the tires, but that'll have to wait a few weeks as I'm away on holiday.

I'll be sure to post it here when finished :D

Hi, no probs Grilla :) Sometimes a post like yours does everyone some good, it puts the reality into perspective. It's also possible that the original owner simply dumped it in the shop as an " Oooh ... haven't used this is a while ... I love it but ..... and then let it go ?" We (those who are still in the collective 70's-2000's loop of cycling) take it for granted perhaps that value & worth are still in these types of bikes, but just 8years ago I honestly couldn't give my bike away. A friend threw his Bianchi & Ti Raleigh in the skip about 5 years ago because MTB still dominated the world. Thankfully there is a BOOM in finding, fixing & restoring some absolute stunners from the 70's-90's, long may it continue.

All the very best to you buddy, and restore this beauty with pride & a clear conscience, then ride her with equal pride :) Yours Laz.

PS: forgot to mention " what an honest guy you are for wondering if it was stolen, a credit to you my friend :)"

I've just got back from my first proper ride since getting it on tuesday. Nothing spectacular, but just shy of forty miles looping down to the M25 and back up, a mix of descents, some decent climbs and then nice fast flats. The bike rides nicely, really really nicely.

I didn't want the ride to end, I fly on Saturday morning but am going to hopefully get another forty out of it tomorrow before the inevitable packing forces me home.

I feel really happy with, and on the bike.

Tel you're right. It's too special for a winter trainer, commuter hack. This is a proper bike, for proper riding!

Back