They don' make em like they used to! Jockey wheels...

02gf74":12g3b5da said:
You got a chain wear tool? If not then buy one. It will pay for itself by not wearing out the cassette which can be 3 - 5x cost of a chain.

I do have a chain wear tool....just not sure how to use it! :facepalm:

But the cassette is XT and was about £20 (I have a new spare) and the chain was KMC and cost about £20 too...

Re:

Don't need a chain wear tool, a ruler work's perfectly, on a new chain 12 links are exactly 12 inches, 1% stretch (time to replace the chain) is about 12 1/8 inches.

Re:

Chain was worn/streched and the one of the chainrings too! Decided to go for a new KMC chain but in the the smaller of the front rings its making a terrible grinding sound, as if there was sand in the chain...in the bigger ring its fine....

Sounds like you have worn out the chainring too. Put a bit of tension onto the chain while looking at it...if there are gaps under the chain at the bottom of the teeth then time to replace...sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Re:

...yeah I have another chain ring on order...but also tried a different chain set where the rings looked ok but it seems to stick the teeth on the bottom edge (when bike upright).

sometimes chainrings etc wear into spikes like your jockey wheels did, other times the teeth become slightly hooked, and won't easily let go of the chain (when the chain is coming off the bottom of the chainring headed towards the rear mech pulleys.

I had chainsuck issues on a chainset, so checked the chain, it was worn, so fitted a new chain and couldn't even pedal a few metres without getting chainsuck! the chainring just wouldn't release the new chain. One new chainring later and problem solved. When i looked closely at the chainring the teeth had become hooked one way, it wasn't a huge issue (more annoying) with the sloppy old chain, but the new chain just wouldn't work with the worn chainring at all.

Assuming you have the correct speed chain, I'd wait for the new chainring to arrive and fit both together.

jimo746":14p014zk said:
sometimes chainrings etc wear into spikes like your jockey wheels did, other times the teeth become slightly hooked, and won't easily let go of the chain (when the chain is coming off the bottom of the chainring headed towards the rear mech pulleys.

I had chainsuck issues on a chainset, so checked the chain, it was worn, so fitted a new chain and couldn't even pedal a few metres without getting chainsuck! the chainring just wouldn't release the new chain. One new chainring later and problem solved. When i looked closely at the chainring the teeth had become hooked one way, it wasn't a huge issue (more annoying) with the sloppy old chain, but the new chain just wouldn't work with the worn chainring at all.

Assuming you have the correct speed chain, I'd wait for the new chainring to arrive and fit both together.

That sounds like a good plan...I have a few chainrings on order from Bikediscount.de as they were a great price! Its an XT and XTR double chainset the XT were £6.50 and the XTR £10.50! The cheapest I could find on UK bike shops was £13.99 and £24.99! The outer rings are dearer but both outer rings are fine fortunately! I'm hopeful that that will solve the issue, the chain is a 10 speed a KMC X10 SL so should work...one question I have is....is the KMC chain directional?

I'm pretty sure KMC chains are NOT directional, I usually use KMC but recently got a Shitmano chain in a deal, and that IS directional, and has a crappy snap-off link instead of the easy KMC missing link.

jimo746":s27ll9r2 said:
I'm pretty sure KMC chains are NOT directional, I usually use KMC but recently got a Shitmano chain in a deal, and that IS directional, and has a crappy snap-off link instead of the easy KMC missing link.

Hmm ok but I dispute the easy missing link! I can get it undone and have ordered a pair of "chain pliers" to do the job!

Back