The Viking Saga NOW SOLD

Re:

Hi Ray, yes I did it myself. Here's one I did a while back using "Posca" paint pens:

I think it looks pretty good, but looking closely you can see there are a few signs of "start and stop". It was a very lengthy job, with many wipes with a meths soaked cloth and then begin again! I did a little box lining too - just on the seat tube - with a straight edge taped to the tube and some masking tape. That was with the same paint pens. One a fine 0.7mm and one a slightly thicker 0.9 - 1.3mm (the thickness depends on how firmly you press).

I'd say have a go with the paint pen. The Posca are water based acrylic and easy to remove as you go along if necessary. But of course they need a lacquer protection once complete. I use Winsor & Newton artist's acrylic varnish, brush on, for this (and for protecting decals). Again, it's easy to remove with meths before it drys if a mistake is made, although they do sell a remover too. Phew! Sorry to bang on at such length. I hope that was helpful.

Now, the Viking. I asked a local signwriter if he could do it. He said he could but was snowed under with work, so he gave me some hints and tips if I wanted to try myself.

He recommended enamel paint - his stock in trade - and I used Humbrol gloss. He'd ordinarily use a medium brush, together with years of experience but said I'd be better off with a very small fine brush which is what I used. He also said "don't be nervous, just go for it" So how to explain I was a nervous wreck for about a week after doing it? Incidentally he was quite dismissive of those lining (draughtsman) pens that others use or recommend. But then, being a professional signwriter he would, wouldn't he. I've not tried one myself.

Anyhow, my approach was much the same as with the pens - painfully slow and white spirit rag to hand! Luckily the Nervex Pro lugs are generally less "sweeping" than the other one I did so it was possible to do most of it in small chunks. I think it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• revell lining.JPG
    revell lining.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,153
Re: The Viking Saga

So, here we are, a month on and deep into lockdown. Not much to report really - lovely decals are here but I won't use them until all else is ready to fit.

Having bought some GB77 centrepulls it became necessary to get front and rear hangers and the yoke thingys to attach cables to brakes. They duly arrived so I've given the brakes and original Arret levers a bit of a spruce up.

I found that the lever clamp bolts are copper plated - they're definitely steel though. Is this usual, anybody know? At least they were not rusted solid to the clamps! I've come across copper fittings but usually in maritime settings. Perhaps this bike is a longship :roll:

As expected, the original steel Rigida rims were beyond saving, being somewhat rusty and with one or two "rimdings". (Note to self - don't ride up kerbs!). I was unable to source any equivalents (32 front, 40 rear) in much better condition so I've gone for some reasonably priced Taiwanese alloy clinchers :oops:

Luckily the old hubs (French "Exceltoo" BTW) are in pretty good order so when my LBS (and wheel builder) comes out of lockdown I'll get him to lace them together. There was some rust on the front hub, in the usual way, but I have cleaned it and applied some lacquer to hopefully keep the evil at bay.

I must say this old Viking's nuts are in pretty good shape too, after nearly 60 years. If only we could all say the same...

Attachments

• clean brakes.JPG
    clean brakes.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,011
  • levers.JPG
    levers.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • rims.JPG
    rims.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,013
  • hubs.JPG
    hubs.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,013
  • hubs2.JPG
    hubs2.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,012

And who knew how many balls make up the bearings in the jockey wheels of a Benelux Mk 7? At least I didn't until I opened them for servicing - 24 of the tiny little devils! Luckily I did this over a tray and lost none. And I must say they now run as smoothly as silk after a soaking in white spirit and a repack with grease. The mech is all ready to be fitted. (There is an old adjustment instruction sheet and an exploded parts diagram at disraeligears. These will be most useful.)

Good work, keep it up..

Thanks Peachey. A bit more progress, how shall I describe it? "All Dressed Up and Nowhere to Go" just about sums it up! At least, until those wheels get built...

Fab decals as usual from Steve@hlloydcycles.com Top work! Top man!

I refixed the original headbadge too. Don't ask how, it's a secret method that I learned from my good friend Cilly Coan.

Attachments

• adu2.JPG
    adu2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 966
  • adu3.JPG
    adu3.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 966
  • adu4.JPG
    adu4.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 963

Another modification. With the new front hanger on the headset I found the route from the brake lever rather awkward. It didn't look as if there would be a smooth path through the outer.

I'd seen this mod done to another GB stem somewhere and thought I'd try to replicate it - by drilling and tapping an M5 thread to the top of the stem - with an exit hole underneath for the wire cable. Keeping the holes as parallel to the stem as possible. It seems to have worked out OK. I was a little concerned that the stem might be weakened but judging by how hard the Hidiminium was to drill and tap I don't think there'll be a problem (fingers crossed).

Attachments

• adj.JPG
    adj.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 881

A drilled stem was a common 'dodge' when I were a lad. I did it myself to various stems - but you do have to make certain that the stem is at the height where it is going to stay!

Old Ned":1jc5p76e said:
A drilled stem was a common 'dodge' when I were a lad. I did it myself to various stems - but you do have to make certain that the stem is at the height where it is going to stay!

Check page 1 of my Jubilee thread.. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/. if you want to make good any surgery...

Re:

Thanks chaps. The issue of stem height hadn't occured to me. Had it done so I probably wouldn't have done the mod :facepalm:

That's a superb "unmod"! I don't have the skills or kit to do similar.sadly.

Most bits to complete this refurb will be to hand soon (thanks to reynoldsfan of this forum). A pair of Viking engraved bars; a new freewheel with exact same ratios; a super Brooks Pro S saddle; new MKS Sylvan pedals; some new medium Christophe clips. And finally, a pair of Alfredo Binda straps :xmas-big-grin:

Back