The Viking Saga NOW SOLD

Re: The Viking Saga

If it was mine I'd be hard pushed to change the Gold & Blue, rather Regal..... :D

Peachy!":10egop9x said:
If it was mine I'd be hard pushed to change the Gold & Blue, rather Regal..... :D
Yes, I know you're a firm believer in accuracy and retention of paint where possible and I respect you for it. In this case the paint was too far gone IMO to be saved. But you've got me thinking...It all depends on whether the PC firm can get that colour gold. I'll ask them. The royal blue shouldn't be a problem as the guy who does panels for me has a huge range (the powder coaters only do "whole frame" BTW, although they will mask chrome, strangely)
Thanks for your input Peachy!

chickendrumsticks":vqm3e6vf said:
Peachy!":vqm3e6vf said:
Yes, I know you're a firm believer in accuracy and retention of paint where possible and I respect you for it. In this case the paint was too far gone IMO to be saved. But you've got me thinking...It all depends on whether the PC firm can get that colour gold. I'll ask them. The royal blue shouldn't be a problem as the guy who does panels for me has a huge range (the powder coaters only do "whole frame" BTW, although they will mask chrome, strangely)
Thanks for your input Peachy!

Oh, hang on, just bear in mind that the top coat of Metalic powdercoat can be more susceptible to wear than a solid colour.

Re:

Right, that's true. What if I get the panel painter to apply a couple of coats of clear lacquer? I normally apply it, by brush, just over the decals as the PC finish takes care of itself.

Re:

So, after much brain racking, I decided to go with a similar colour scheme but not the same. A yellowly orangey goldy colour (looks more goldy in daylight). With just a hint of sparkly lacquer to try to recapture the metallic look of the original. A success or not?

To follow are spray panels in royal (regal?) blue at head tube and seat tube as in the original.

Attachments

• 20200220_163725.jpg
    20200220_163725.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 531

Looking good

Retro Spud":3a6d1h6n said:
Need to see it with the blue - but looking good so far

I was thinking exactly the same.

I've got a frame thats badged as a Holdsworth that is yellow with royal blue panels and that I've always felt was a nice mix but I think I prefer the original gold if I'm honest

allenh":r6xuf5kt said:
Retro Spud":r6xuf5kt said:
Need to see it with the blue - but looking good so far

I was thinking exactly the same.

I've got a frame thats badged as a Holdsworth that is yellow with royal blue panels and that I've always felt was a nice mix but I think I prefer the original gold if I'm honest
Thanks all. And yes allenh, I would have preferred to have stuck with a more gold metallic as well but it has to be what's affordable for me. It does actually look more "goldy orangey" in the flesh and I'm sure the blue - matching the original btw - will improve it a lot. And then the exciting decals! All available from Steve at HLloyd too.

A new seatpost is on order to replace that destroyed during removal. And I'm unsure whether to retain the nice chrome Viking chainwheel and cottered cranks or replace with something more modern. I've always been a fan of 80s Shimano (600EX in particular) and don't know if I should fit more modern kit to what is a 1962 frame.

Fit the old one, take some photos, receive sage like nods of approval from this lot, then stick on Shimano and ride it (never mentioning it again) :D

Back