The Viking Saga NOW SOLD

Re: HELP with identity of a Viking

Jonny69":eniourmo said:
Can't tell 100% but those hubs might be the earlier round hole Normandy. They were mid 50s and supposedly better quality than the later oval holes ones.
Yes, they're certainly round hole, but whether they're Normandy or 50's I don't know yet. The frame number says early 60's - of course the wheels could've been changed at any time in the last 60 or so years!

A contributor to Velobase reckons they came out in 57, so could be right for the bike I guess, if he's correct.

Re: HELP with identity of a Viking

Midlife":6fqmvrkr said:
Sort of look like BH Racelite hubs?
Spot on I think Midlife. They do look v similar to the ones I can see at Velobase. And they appear to be 32 hole as well. I hadn't heard of BH before I must admit.

Re: The Viking Saga

Well it's here. I must admit I was a little worried that I could see no sign of the expected 531 transfer - apart maybe a tiny smear of something - in the seller's listing pics. And could get no answer to the obvious question...

On it's arrival it became clear why:

so look the other side - a half of a tattered one! Phew.

In the usual way - at least my usual way - it's off to the workshop to demolish the lot. After all, the vikings were rather good at demolishing things were they not? Not to mention all of ther other activities they are famous for...none of that here thank you very much! :)

The demolished result:

I'll add some detail about components, condition etc in due course

Attachments

• V15.jpg
    V15.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 602
  • V16.jpg
    V16.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 601
  • V16.jpg
    V16.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 601
  • V17.jpg
    V17.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 600
  • V18.jpg
    V18.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 601
  • v14.JPG
    v14.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 577

GB Syncron brakes, the first of the 'dual-pivot' design I think. A bit before their time in some ways. I think they were made under licence from Altenberger and Weinmann took the design on for a short while after GB. Not sure about this being a Severn Valley? Can you tell if it is a 'full' 531 transfer or a 'main tubes only' one? On my SV I remember (and have seen elswhere) the top of the seat stays having a 'sharper edge' to them rather than the more rounded one on this. It's a nice frame though whatever.

Old Ned":2bo38sbe said:
GB Syncron brakes, the first of the 'dual-pivot' design I think. A bit before their time in some ways. I think they were made under licence from Altenberger and Weinmann took the design on for a short while after GB. Not sure about this being a Severn Valley? Can you tell if it is a 'full' 531 transfer or a 'main tubes only' one? On my SV I remember (and have seen elswhere) the top of the seat stays having a 'sharper edge' to them rather than the more rounded one on this. It's a nice frame though whatever.
Thanks Old Ned for your insights.
First yes, the brakes are clearly Altenburger Synchrons, although the levers are GB "Arret". I have been unable to find a reference to the Synchron being produced under a GB label though - have you seen summat? Whatever, they don't rate v highly - possibly the "worst brake in the world" and that's just Carlsberg's opinion.

Second "is it a SV?" No. I don't think it is despite being only 2 or 3 frame numbers away from a "known" SV on the Viking Register list. It looks like Viking , in the 60s, numbered their frames sequentially as they came off the line, regardless of the model. They'd stopped using prefix letters e.g. "V" for SVs some years before

Why don't I think it is? In all the catalogue specs I can find a SV is always (except in a '64 cat strangely) described as having a curved bridge. Mine does not have that, sadly! Although I must say I've seen small variations in the shape of the wrapover stays on pics of SVs - some sharp, some blunter, some with a concave (or should that be convex?) cap. Let's say "dished"!

But that 531 sticker is a full frame one. It's gone off for refinishing now, but I can tell you the word "fork" appears at left of centre as on this one:

So, if not a SV, what the heck is it? The nearest I can see is a Mileater (formerly Medallist). Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 531.JPG
    531.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 558

chickendrumsticks":i84p7mdk said:
Old Ned":i84p7mdk said:
Thanks Old Ned for your insights.
First yes, the brakes are clearly Altenburger Synchrons, although the levers are GB "Arret". I have been unable to find a reference to the Synchron being produced under a GB label though - have you seen summat? Whatever, they don't rate v highly - possibly the "worst brake in the world" and that's just Carlsberg's opinion.
Lots of adverts in old Sporting Cyclist mags for the GB variant of the Syncron. I'll have a look for you when I find all my copies! I had a pair for a while when I was a lad but I can't for the life of me remember what I did with them - or which bike they were fitted to. I think that they seemed to work OK - but at that time, virtually all brakes 'worked' - after a fashion :roll: :facepalm:

Just pulling up a chair....

Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":1p1e3j4p said:
Welcome Peachy!
Have some tissues handy - there may be tears :cry:

Tears of laughter? Tears of joy? Or has the frame suffered an accident at the paint shop?

Tears of frustration really. Despite being told the opposite the seat post was seized. It not being in too far, thank goodness, I sawed it off to an inch or so (having tried WD40 and clamping in the vice, then using the frame as a lever) and made a couple of saw cuts about 1/2 inch apart. Careful attack with an old screwdriver and a rubber mallet allowed it to be prised out. After the first strip the rest came out fairly easily. The seat tube seems to have survived.

Then - the brakes. One was a bit bent (the leg that the cable adjuster sits on) and whilst trying to straighten it with judicious application of said rubber mallet the was a "crack" and I'd broken it off! Frustratingly it's now perfectly straight naturally :facepalm: Should have used some heat of course, but I don't have the means. To tell the truth I didn't much like them anyway, so a search for some GB sidepulls is under way.

And the search for the frame's identity. I was expecting a Severn Valley but it ain't (see above). I've scoured just about every catalogue and spec available for the time -'62 - and it looks most likely to be a "Mileater". With full 531 but with straight bridge. So not too bad then :)

And I hope there's been no disaster at the painters!! They've had the frame for nearly 10 days out of a "2 week lead time", and I want to inspect it after grit blasting to make sure "alles in Ordnung" anyway. They're only 15 minutes away at least. Colour chosen is Moss Green RAL6005 with headtube and a seat tube panel in - probably - cream or may be yellow. (Maybe they're afraid to call...)

Back