the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

A few about for road bikes .But they like negative rise, not really what I need on a Mtb.

Re: Re:

J3h":3meg7j6z said:
IMG_0022.JPG

That's stunning!

Got some nitto rm3 dirt drop bars similar to lauter wasser that i want to try out. When i get round to it ill pist a pic.

Does putting drop bars on an MTB change it's geometry in any significant way? I mean, wouldn't making it more like a road bike require more road bike-like frame measurements for the rider?

ThomasElliott":3rzwh8j4 said:
Does putting drop bars on an MTB change it's geometry in any significant way? I mean, wouldn't making it more like a road bike require more road bike-like frame measurements for the rider?

Not in every build, its the equivalent of riding the bar ends for some and a lower stem for others. It really depends on the frame and rider.

Re:

my attempt...

Attachments

• thumbnail_image16.jpg
    thumbnail_image16.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,384
  • thumbnail_image9.jpg
    thumbnail_image9.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • thumbnail_image18.jpg
    thumbnail_image18.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,385
Re:

^

Obviously I don't know your vital statistics, but that looks a fair reach to yank on the brake levers.

Saddle looks rammmed back too.

Perhaps tilt the bars down so the bottoms are more horizontal and/or a steeper stem. When you get the bar height sorted tweaking the brake lever position for a easy grip is straight forward.

The saddle is half way on the rails, if not a little forward for me, top tube length is the shortest of all my White spiders, and considerably shorter than the Dogs Bollox.

I was careful sourcing the Salsa drop bar stem for my reach but I do think the brake/gear levers do need to come up the handlebar a smidge to be spot on for me, adjusting the saddle forward feels cramping for sure, the short reach flared bars are novel, hence the need to bring the levers up the bar, the angle of the brake/gear levers are totally alien compared to my drop bar experiences, but it less about the braking reach, that's fine, its the angle/height of the gearshifters I need closer.

Its just a shame its such ass ache to unravel all the bar tape for such a small tweek, but with new tape on the way, I hope it will make that difference.

Re: Re:

Woz":tx6cvwx7 said:
^

Obviously I don't know your vital statistics, but that looks a fair reach to yank on the brake levers.

Saddle looks rammmed back too.

Perhaps tilt the bars down so the bottoms are more horizontal and/or a steeper stem. When you get the bar height sorted tweaking the brake lever position for a easy grip is straight forward.

with all the above said and done, that's a std trail ride, and a small tweek that I'm sure will make the difference.

My burning question was and still is the performance and handling using the drop bar mated with the suspension fork, its fine on a trail, but until the replacement elastomers arrive and it gets a proper outing, I cant say if ive done the right thing not using a ridged fork.

Attachments

• thumbnail_photo 2 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_photo 2 (1).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,281
Re:

Yeah, good question about the effect of any sag. About 2cm?

I think the main problem with DB conversions is nailing the reach to be in the hooks on a descent and being able to grab a fistfull of lever as easy with a flat bar.

Old drop bar levers and flared bars unfortunatly do not lend themselves well to riding on the hoods - more of an issue if you like bar ends on a flat bar.

Back