The MS Racing/alpinestars story.

Its seems a number of manufacturers switched from rear U-brakes to cantis during production runs. I had a late 80's Rocky Fusion with the U-brake but you could find effectively the same bike with cantis' front and rear. wouldn't surprise me if they used a U-brake for the promotional models and then made a decision during production to go all canti.

My MS racing bike is canti front and back. FYI, my frame is for sale. Unfortunately I don't have the original fork. When I thought I might keep it I thought a kona p2 repainted might make a good replacement.
@sinnett177 thanks for posting this fascinating history. The 89 MS Racing and 90 Alpinestars range was poster material on my wall as a kid. I loved the graphics and overall look.
I would love an 89 Pro Comp XT.

One question - what's with the U-brakes? The bikes in the 89 catalogue / promotional adverts had U-Brakes fitted, but it looks from all the other photo's that the production bikes had cantilevers fitted?

Reactions: JCS
Upfront, this thread and the initial post and collection of comprehensive facts about Alpinestars is - still even after 12 years now - a great to read resource of information! Thanks @sinnett177 also from my side 👍

1994 onwards ALPINESTARS

Sadly the bright light that was alpinestars USA dimmed in the mtb marketplace and by 1996 their bikes had disappeared from sale in the United Kingdom. It’s rumoured the number of warranty claims and product recalls against the aluminium bikes and components had caused a rethink of alpinestars global mtb strategy. However it is worth pointing out that alpinestars never failed to honour to warranty, despite the numerous returns they encountered. I'd be interested to find a post '93 brochure to see if the warranties changed.

I recently came across a 1994 brochure and have uploaded this as PDF to the forum. Hopefully they will be added once to the Archive.

Here are the pictures as we also have pictures from older brochures in this thread:
Alpinestars 1994 01.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 02-03.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 04-05.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 06-07.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 08-09.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 10-11.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 12-13.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 14-15.jpg
Alpinestars 1994 16.jpg

The warranty period has been defined with 5 years.

While I do agree that the star from Alpinestars was already falling a bit in 1994, and bikes haven't been so iconic from design and technology any longer as in earlier years, still nice rides.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of completeness, a few bikes from 1995 and 1996 from the German "Bike Market" buyers guide.
Due to copyright reasons I only want to post the pictures, which seem to be provided anyhow from Alpinestars.

CR100 CR200 CR300 CR400
Alpinestars 1995 1 CR100 200 300 400.jpg
AL400 CR500 AL500 CR700 AL700 AL900
Alpinestars 1995 2 AL 400 CR AL 500 CR AL 700 AL 900.jpg

ASR300 ASR400 ASR500 ASR700
Alpinestars 1996 ASR 300 400 500 700.jpg

The ASR 700 was aluminum, the rest CroMo. I came across a ASR900 once too, but this isn't appearing in any documentation.

Last edited:
Those colours / graphics are so completely unlike the ones used on my XT Comp. Is that a European edition?
No, definitely US. Could be a color balance issue with the photo. it is a Christmas 1988 catalog, so maybe early production or prototype colors.
I have old Comp XT too, and it is much more aqua color.
I just saw this catalog on eBay, and it is still available there.

Last edited:
Mine is mainly white in the back with what was a neon yellow headtube/front (its since faded to an ugly yellow/brown). The decal graphics are a lot louder too.

Adding a few better pics of 1989 MS Racing Bikes

The overview of the portfolio also posted at the beginning of this thread
ms racing 1989 4 bikes.jpg
4 bikes in total: (pictures are rather random web finds)

Aluminium CR II
MS Racing CR-2 Ad PIC 1989.jpg
Aluminium CR I
MS Racing CR-1 Ad PIC MBUK September 1989.jpg
Pro Comp
MS Racing pro comp XT 1989 willhaben.jpg
Comp
MS Racing comp XT 1989 imgur.jpg

Those are the the color variants as we typically know it (sure, with some kinds of fading being too much exposed to sunlight).

The MS Racing catalog from Christmas 1988 had Comp Bikes with obviously quite different color and decals scheme
MS Racing Bikes pics MS Racing Christmas 1988 catalog.jpg

I though those had been prototypes, never went on sale, but it looks like those earlier models have been sold too.

MS Racing Pro Comp XT color variant.jpg
Was on Ebay, linked here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/ms-racing-pro-comp-xt.66464/

MS Racing Comp XT early model.jpg
Pic from https://www.mtbr.com/threads/malcolm-smith-racing-do-you-have-one.399980/

Interesting, i haven't noticed those before 🧐

while talking about 1989 MS Racing bikes,

at MTB-news.de forum we have just recently noticed that the MS Aluminum-CR models do have same frames as Merida Albon-Tech bikes from 1989/90.

E.g. this Albon Tech 500
Merida Albon Tech 500 pic.jpg

matches well.
Just look on details of this MS Racing
Merida bauglich MS Racing 4.jpg Merida bauglich MS Racing 3.jpg

Vs. another Merida Albon Tech
Merida bauglich MS Racing 2.jpg

Not every detail is identically, e.g. calbe routing, and some Merida bikes had u-brakes at Chain stays, but the frame itself seem to be completely the same.

So it looks like that those MS Racing bikes have been sourced at Merida in Taiwan.

Last edited:
while talking about 1989 MS Racing bikes,

at MTB-news.de forum we have just recently noticed that the MS Aluminum-CR models do have same frames as Merida Albon-Tech bikes from 1989/90.

E.g. this Albon Tech 500
View attachment 685435

matches well.
Just look on details of this MS Racing
View attachment 685437 View attachment 685436

Vs. another Merida Albon Tech
View attachment 685438

Not every detail is identically, e.g. calbe routing, and some Merida bikes had u-brakes at Chain stays, but the frame itself seem to be completely the same.

So it looks like that those MS Racing bikes have been sourced at Merida in Taiwan.
My ProCompXT does not have that odd steering tube flange - it's pretty much identical to the photo joglo posted above. They may have changed suppliers mid way or maybe different markets were manufactured by different suppliers

Latest posts

Back