The Immigration Debate........

rosstheboss":3eqezl5c said:
They can genuinely be traced back to Alfred the Great so yeah, they've been here a while too...

http://www.britroyals.com/royaltree.htm

related, barely, often by marriage, William I relation to Alfred? not to mention the Hanoverian succession, couldn't speak English, changed name given a World War, just preferable for the establishment to have a foreigner rather than a despotic catholic

I trust all those people (reading the daily mail etc) have traced their family trees sufficiently to ensure they are not being hypocritical ?

guess we need a new name for Roast Beef (and Yorkshire pud) given the french etymology ?

daugs":2thc7vgg said:
guess we need a new name for Roast Beef (and Yorkshire pud) given the french etymology ?

Its all beginning to sound like double Dutch to me :?

technodup":1h0n9ev8 said:
That's the thing about history, we can all interpret it in different ways.

So when did probably gay part-jew communists like me destroy your culture? I must've slept through that one.

highlandsflyer":3q3yi5ix said:
No one in Scotland gives a toss about UKIP.
Nobody in Scotland gives a toss about the Tories either. Hasn't stopped them governing us for four years.

swannymere":3q3yi5ix said:
technodup":3q3yi5ix said:
That's the thing about history, we can all interpret it in different ways.
What part of my post are you disputing out of interest?
If you're ever in Glasgow I'll take you to the Bristol Bar or the Lodge and you can ask in there. You'll get a straight answer about why traditional folk songs and marches are now arrestable offences.

I'll leave it at that as it's probably not the place.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/ ... scotland-2

and wasn't Edward I effectively French and the English generally Anglo-Saxons (German/Danish) who were also subjugated by the Aristocracy which was all descended from the conquering Normans in 1066, Edward I great x4 grandfather

being tribal is part of human nature just more for some than others.............

technodup":1jlcfsb7 said:
highlandsflyer":1jlcfsb7 said:
No one in Scotland gives a toss about UKIP.
Nobody in Scotland gives a toss about the Tories either. Hasn't stopped them governing us for four years.

Fair point.

Though we are led to believe they are in coalition.

Glad to read some of the posts in this thread, some Retrobikers are clearly progressive thinkers.

Personally I am with Dyna, come one come all. We have plenty of room for more.

have to agree HF, immigration is an easy target to deflect away from the governments own massive shortcomings (in fact most of the main parties are all jumping on the band wagon). I am glad to see that the old hackneyed and frankly racist tripe we see from the mail, ukip and centre/right wing is now being challenged by serious studies of the facts.

one of many.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles ... ion-report

It's been challenged since day one. Only problem is right wingers don't do facts. Bring them a well reasoned argument with supporting evidence, and they come out with a nasty soundbyte. So rather than talk about reality, you end up getting flustered from defending your dignity from an arsehole.

Bats":1dog2rhy said:
It's been challenged since day one. Only problem is right wingers don't do facts. Bring them a well reasoned argument with supporting evidence, and they come out with a nasty soundbyte. So rather than talk about reality, you end up getting flustered from defending your dignity from an arsehole.

Cheers for putting it into words my brain can't.

Back