Blame my Grandmother! Recycling and re-use...

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
After re-reading some old threads, I come across as a bit of an anti modernist maybe or a bit anti money (or TWAT! I here you cry, well shhh!).

Its my Grandmothers fault!

She was brought up in in an age of austerity that would make a modern child wince. Little TV, rationing and a make do and mend culture. Everything had to last.

Now, when the same person acts as your parent for many years, you will naturally end up with similar traits (especially with the direct gene link) so whiles you may rebel for a while, it soon comes back to haunt you!

So, I'm all for modern, modern is good but it fails when the previous generation of that 'modern' was better, better built, better design etc.
Now getting on in years, I have a longer view of things, 25 years of consumerism, buying tat, discovering gems at car-boot sales and so on.

We have to consume, but lift the lid and you'll see this is damaging everything that humans touch. We cant carry on like this otherwise it will end in tears for somebody. I'm not a gung ho greeny or tree hugger, just an ordinary guy trying to cliche his way through each day -

I just ask you to spare a little thought before buying the brand new car or TV - is there a pre-owned example thats just as good? Sure, 'new car' salesmen may lose out, but the industry will adapt as much as can already be seen in our silly little RB community - strange requests for anodized parts and amberwall tyres, frames made from steel instead of wonder materials. Just have a little think, ignore me too, thats fine. Others will argue that consumerism needs to drive us on. Ok, but when did you last try to get anything repaired? It doesnt happen, you chuck it away and buy new, we're all guilty of that.

Where did this all come from? Maybe it was the drinking of volatile cider over the weekend in a 1964 Bedford truck with its £90 a year insurance and free road tax, may be it wasnt.

Who knows. I'm mad anyway.

Great post!

I had a similar conversation with my Step Father the other day. Anyway, I was asking him a question about oxygen free copper cable, and in his usual fashion he went on a rant about all things electrical. He told me about one of his first jobs as a TV repair man, and how in old tube TV's it was always this one valve that would go. The conversation then transistioned into how nobody reapirs things anymore. We really do live in a disposable culture, things are cheap and readily available, so where's the incentive to get something repaired more to the point, try and find somewhere to get said item repaired.

Que Youtube: awesome. I love the fact that you can do a google search or youtube and someone, somewhere will have asked the very same question you're looking for an answer to, or better still: actually made a tutorial on how to do what it is you want to. I always try to repair what I can instead of throwing stuff away.

It's easy to see how much of a hold consumerism has on modern-day life by the size of the bins we have now. Big ass wheelie bins, and two of them no less. Back in the day we had a round steal bin with a lid, they were tiny in comparison to the bins of today.

You're damn right we can't continue the way we are.

They make most things too hard to repair nowadays, they've started doing it with cars as well... an old beetle you could repair most things on it with a socket set, a jack and a hammer. Try that on a modern one!

As for valve TV's they were rubbish, the fact that there was a whole industry of people repairing them says it all. Although it also has to do with the economics that made them so expensive.

It does pain me that repairing LCD tellies isn't worthwhile just because the panels are so expensive and a new telly is barely more expensive.

QFT : "Youtube: awesome. I love the fact that you can do a google search or youtube and someone, somewhere will have asked the very same question you're looking for an answer to, or better still: actually made a tutorial on how to do what it is you want to. I always try to repair what I can instead of throwing stuff away. "

Youtube is better than a haynes manual nowadays.

It was my job as a kid to collect all the little bits of left over soap and compress them with some gadget back into a "new" bar of soap..........

Happy days.

Shaun

Have to agree on the youtube thing, ive repaired so much stuff by watching the tutorials on there :cool:

i agree with you almost completely
i have a 20 year old saab got it for 300 quid with 1 owner and 45k on it
all my mates have spent thousands on there rubbish new cars and all of them apart from my saab have died old saabs are great
new things nowadays arent generally worth fixing
older televisions are much better than new ones
i have a bang and olefsen telly was 4-5 grand new i paid 60 quid for it
i also rate older sony trinitron tvs and you can get them for 10 -50 quid
i have one that i payed 1.25 for and its great new lcd etc are disposables
nearly everthing i love i have got for almost no money in respect to what it cost new and i only have one newish item thats a digi box recorder
everything is relative and all the money ive saved ive spent on bikes the rest ive just wasted

Back