The Immigration Debate........

fattiman":20s420db said:
Interesting and valid comments/thoughts, i actually dont know what to think about it all, is it the media trying to stir things or is there a real problem? :?

it is all evil propaganda, believed and propagated by small minded idiots looking for a scapegoat

if history teaches us anything , it is that we learn nothing from history :cry:

Truth. Immigration is a vital part of our national economy. The Tories are desperate to do a keeping up with the Farages act. Shame they are so brutal about it all - still, I suppose when you know fine well you're getting howked out of power at the next election there's no point putting on the mask of humanity when you can simply be the out and out b#stards you've been all along.

I'm all for it. We had a few neighbours around for Christmas dinner and the Polish girl from a few doors along brought a bottle of hazelnut vodka with her - yummy! :p

I watched that BBC debate programme they air on a Sunday morning, the other day - uncannily, on Sunday... and the first third of the programme was about immigration.

Two things - there is a certain irony in Chris Hitchen's (gawd rest 'is soul, guv'nor - sorry, couldn't help myself...) brother being a raging god botherer.

All the same there was a point I did agree on - it's not immigration, per se, that's a big evil or a problem - morever is the scale / rate of immigration in recent times that's having such a profound effect. I have to say, I'm not normally inclined to agree with Peter Hitchens - I'd normally picture him and his rather self-satisified smugness, in crosshairs (in a sort of daydream / fantasy-esque moment, which, as comedy shows have taught us, is abruptly halted and forced back to reality with the sound of a stylus being scratched across a record, or a door slamming...) - but rather irritatingly I did find myself almost automatically nodding to some of the things he said on the matter - I reckon he's been reading up on some NLP techniques, or something.

That, and the other point he made being that the middle-class politicians hand-waving and saying there is no problem, tended to live in situations rather unaffected by it - I have to say, also fair comment. I hate myself, now. A lot.

The one thing that strikes me is this - if there is a flood of immigration to certain selective countries for immigrants, it's not just all the western democracies - but a certain select few - why would that be, and perhaps there's something about the UK that is just a bit too attractive compared to other countries.

Neil":1atmp9pp said:
The one thing that strikes me is this - if there is a flood of immigration to certain selective countries for immigrants, it's not just all the western democracies - but a certain select few - why would that be, and perhaps there's something about the UK that is just a bit too attractive compared to other countries.
This. We need immigration but we don't need all or just any immigration. Select them; we need doctors, nurses or civil engineers? Come on in. (Genuinely) starting a business? Sound. Disappearing into the black market, minimum wage jobs or for benefits? Piss off.

Peter Hitchens is a pompous twat. But I can't help have a certain admiration for the way he goes on telly and argues black is white (pardon the pun) with people far more qualified than he. Newsnight with an addict and a doctor being a recent example.

My first thought, heavily influenced by research, is that tribalism (be it nationalism/patriotism or religion) with its inherent fear and loathing of "the other" is the primary cause of war. So anything that reduces the amount of tribalism in the world is a good thing in my book.

My second thought is to be very grateful that I was lucky enough to be born in a country that has so much going for it, that is so attractive that so many people are prepared to give up or risk so much for a chance to have some of what I have, by fortune of birth, gained.

My third thought is to remember that we are all descended from immigrants into this set of islands. The only people who seem to have a legitimate claim to be the indigenous inhabitants of anywhere are those who live in the areas of Africa where Homo Sapiens first emerged.

English is the main second language taught in most schools around the world. It's no real surprise that immigrants flock to a country where they have at least a passing knowledge of the language.

My view is each country has a distinct culture. You dont hold your born into culture over the culture you move into. Imigrants who integrate into our culture are welcome but if imigrants just want the benefits of being in UK but basically have the attitudes of their home nation then there will be and are problems.

xerxes":2gqts311 said:
I'm all for it. We had a few neighbours around for Christmas dinner and the Polish girl from a few doors along brought a bottle of hazelnut vodka with her - yummy! :p

I would agree, some Polish girls don't half look yummy - but you got to taste one ... ? :LOL:

WD :D

i can think of a test for immigrants.
it would comprise of 3 questions.
1. do you speak english ?
2. can you support your self & family without relying on government handouts ?
3. do you agree to comply & respect the laws of this country. and do you agree by breaking any laws you will be sent back to your country of origin. never to be allowed back again.

if any immigrant can answer in the affirmative to all 3 questions. welcome aboard.

Back