The "HOW NOT TO ASSEMBLE A RETROBIKE" Thread.

Re:

Been following this for a while now and I think............ Puts on clown shoes and skips off in to the minefield merrily :facepalm:

The OP's point is not just about the build or the frankly ridiculous price, it is about the fact it is for sale in this configuration. It is perfectly fine that you decide to build something truly hideous to ride for yourself (God knows I have done it plenty of times.), but own it, you did it. Don't make a build this awful and then try to flog it on to someone else.

The thing that truly offends me about this build is something quite trivial. Yes I may come across as being a snob or effete, but I paint for a hobby and as such things need to flow and harmonise IMHO, and the white fork crown and dropouts on those forks grate, natural alloy fine, black fine, but white NO!!!!!!!

Then the build would just not be my cup of lapsang souchong, rather than just plain awful.

BTW I love your OTT builds THM :D

Let the pillory commence :D

Re: Re:

sinnerman":4qss8aan said:
The replica Cobras (and later Originals) are the prefect flattery of the Original Model. ;)

But the real question is would you fit, big wide wheels, and components from a different Modern Car to your Classic Mk1 Cobra. This is probably a closer analogy, to this retrobike to be fair.
Good point. I still like this bike, though. I'm normally not a fan of black bikes because the framework tends to blend in visually with all the other black bits, as opposed to standing out to be admired, but for some reason, this one scratches my black ops stealth mode itch.

IIRC, someone else on here had an A-stars e-stay with large gussets welded between the top and down tubes, and a longer fork, but it must have gone under the purists' radar. I liked that one also.

Re:

Erm, I own this

Attachments

• 0A74BD4F-575C-4CC9-8F04-9F3BEA1B35EB.jpeg
    0A74BD4F-575C-4CC9-8F04-9F3BEA1B35EB.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 367
Re:

That Alpinestars might be the worst Retrobike parts selection recently, but for my tastes this 'Dream Build' ARC is a complete nightmare and a clinic in how not to assemble a Retrobike.

The sound of beautiful parts being forced together dry will set your teeth on edge. You've been warned. I'd sack a Saturday shop-hand if they assembled a hundred quid kids' bike like this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9sycJOo0fo[/youtube]

It’s a build, just for the video I suppose. The use of grease will prevent selling these bits as NOS, maybe? I can’t believe there is no anti seize grease used anywhere, what a joke.

Re: Re:

The sound of beautiful parts being forced together dry will set your teeth on edge. You've been warned. I'd sack a Saturday shop-hand if they assembled a hundred quid kids' bike like this.

It was hard to watch after seeing that gnarly-welded bottom bracket...

troje":z2efb9hh said:
It’s a build, just for the video I suppose. The use of grease will prevent selling these bits as NOS, maybe? I can’t believe there is no anti seize grease used anywhere, what a joke.

Me I would have thought putting it together dry front to back would do more harm to the finish on everything than a preventative smear of grease? I don't know, but I know even if I were building a bike for the wall, I'd build it like I was going to ride it.

Back