The "HOW NOT TO ASSEMBLE A RETROBIKE" Thread.

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":1p3u7vbh said:
I don’t see the problem with the build. I think it’s been sympathetically done, it’s all reversable, it looks pretty good and it probably rides ok. I turned a DeKerf in to a 650b disc braked “gravel” type bike a few years ago. It looked great, rode great and was completely fit for purpose. It didn’t hurt anyone and if it gets an old frame out there being ridden then we should all support and applaud that.

I’m as guilty as anyone on here of building up perfect representations of the perfect “bitd” build spec but the problem is they become to precious to actually ride

My only reservation is whether the powder coat is hiding any cracks and, obviously, the price is more than the sum of the parts.

There seem to be a worry recent trend of criticism of other people’s views on this section of the forum recently.

I dont think highlighting something that draws opinion and posts is a worry at all.

Its quite simple, opinion will be divided, and thats the point.

But despite all of the divided opinion, the for, and for nots.

NO ONE HAS BOUGHT IT.

yes its saved a bike, yes it can be ridden, yes it can clear out the cobwebs, yes its been recycled, yes its good for Gods green earth, but what a waste of MONEY.

jinjrich":1e7142uz said:
mheywoo1":1e7142uz said:
I don’t see the problem with the build. I think it’s been sympathetically done, it’s all reversable, it looks pretty good and it probably rides ok. I turned a DeKerf in to a 650b disc braked “gravel” type bike a few years ago. It looked great, rode great and was completely fit for purpose. It didn’t hurt anyone and if it gets an old frame out there being ridden then we should all support and applaud that.

I’m as guilty as anyone on here of building up perfect representations of the perfect “bitd” build spec but the problem is they become to precious to actually ride

My only reservation is whether the powder coat is hiding any cracks and, obviously, the price is more than the sum of the parts.

There seem to be a worry recent trend of criticism of other people’s views on this section of the forum recently.

Well put. Theres always been a contingent of Snobs on here. This thread p***es me off, but not as much as the 'oooo your seat post is too high/stems too long/ you'll die with a 100mm fork' types! :LOL:

Give one example of a snob on here....?

sinnerman":34ullkee said:
jinjrich":34ullkee said:
mheywoo1":34ullkee said:

Well put. Theres always been a contingent of Snobs on here. This thread p***es me off, but not as much as the 'oooo your seat post is too high/stems too long/ you'll die with a 100mm fork' types! :LOL:

Give one example of a snob on here....?

You know what? As soon as i'd written that i wished i hadn't, because i knew who would be the first to respond. I'll retract that statement, because i can't be bothered getting into it. I'll leave this thread alone.

Re:

Thats my point, it pisses you off, and you post. there's nothing wrong with that, you took part.

if its me that pisses you off have stones to say, it wont vex me, its my post and we are on page three and still on topic. ;) And you just had to post, and even if it was to have a go, thats cool. :cool:

sinnerman":23x0yvpm said:

NO ONE HAS BOUGHT IT.

yes its saved a bike, yes it can be ridden, yes it can clear out the cobwebs, yes its been recycled, yes its good for Gods green earth, but what a waste of MONEY.

Think this sums it up for me. Everyone should build a bike to how they like it, there is too much criticism being thrown around ATM what with lockdown and everything.

This bike was built by someone for whatever reason, but doesnt mean it will be liked, bought or valued by another single person to the builder's plans.

But for £1200 I would personally buy 5 retro bikes.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jimwise68":1g11juwe said:
sinnerman":1g11juwe said:

NO ONE HAS BOUGHT IT.

Think this sums it up for me. Everyone should build a bike to how they like it, there is too much criticism being thrown around ATM what with lockdown and everything.

This bike was built by someone for whatever reason, but doesnt mean it will be liked, bought or valued by another single person to the builder's plans.

But for £1200 I would personally buy 5 retro bikes.

I fear the original thought for the post has been lost by some members simply wanting to disagree with me regardless.

Cest la vie.

sinnerman":2jnnx6ig said:
I fear the original thought for the post has been lost by some members simply wanting to disagree with me regardless.

Cest la vie.

Sorry, but I disagree :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

jimwise68":2qpnrzkc said:
sinnerman":2qpnrzkc said:

Cest la vie.

Sorry, but I disagree :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
thank god for that....
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

To be fair to the seller, it's listed as a 'retro frame' not a 'retro bike'.

Having said that, the only parts I don't like are the price and, actually, the frame. I don't much care if anyone else shares that view but, equally, I think sinnerman ought to be able to express his opposite view.

Back