The "HOW NOT TO ASSEMBLE A RETROBIKE" Thread.

Re: Re:

troje":2noq2lcy said:
sinnerman":2noq2lcy said:
troje":2noq2lcy said:
What’s wrong with that? Nothing structurally altered to the frame and a quite clean choice of modern components. That stiff alu fram with a modern rigid fork must give an awesome ride..

All is not lost then, we shall look forward to reading your thread.... ;)

:) I don’ dislike it, that doesn’t mean I want it :-D

I wouldn’t dare to work on something that might upset the retro police.

(now quickly go back work on my 29er hardtail with 1x12 and dropper post that I love so much)

Ah sorry, i genuinely thought you were a man who stood by his words and were the buyer.

My Bad.

;)

troje":1dg4a3il said:
I fully endorse that build, as you now know!

Agreed at that price there must be a huge drink in it for you.... :LOL:

You must be realy good to be getting paid for Endorsments.

Is that a new thing from the Modern world of 29ers....? Endoresments, are you an influencer too......? there is big money in that i hear.

Re:

Apparently. I have no idea. You seem to know it all! Social media are a mystery to me, I just love to pedal and feel free. Whether that is on a modern 29’er that brings me back to that BMX feeling or on a 30 year old bike. Love it all. This modern fitted Alpinestars looks like a good ride. Can’t comment on the price. With QE and big reset luring, what is the value of something nowadays?

troje":1qf8gpqm said:
Apparently. I have no idea. You seem to know it all! Social media are a mystery to me, I just love to pedal and feel free. Whether that is on a modern 29’er that brings me back to that BMX feeling or on a 30 year old bike. Love it all. This modern fitted Alpinestars looks like a good ride. Can’t comment on the price. With QE and big reset luring, what is the value of something nowadays?

Well, if you are endorsing it, it must warrant consideration. ;)

I think the title is right....that’s not how to assemble a retrobike.

The thing is...the advert (and the price) trades off the retro concept. But the bike is not. It’s not 100% gruesome, but it’s certainly presented as something it isn’t.

I have a couple of old frames which wear new components, because they are working bikes. A real mix of things I had in boxes and top range components - carefully selected but a huge mix of periods and manufacturers - which are extremely competent and durable. They are not retrobikes. They are bikes.

My extremely period Orange C16R has some mix and match but that’s all from the first two years of ownership - that’s a genuine retrobike with good provenance.

Personally,I think that this one advertised is a dog’s dinner since it can’t decide whether it’s an individuals’ working bike or a throwback. It’s not a retrobike.

I should imagine it rides great.

I think it would look better with the all black Exotics on it and V-brake on the rear as i dont like the add-on rear discs. Currently in the process of fitting one of my Kona's with 1X10 and Exotics :)

Re:

I don’t see the problem with the build. I think it’s been sympathetically done, it’s all reversable, it looks pretty good and it probably rides ok. I turned a DeKerf in to a 650b disc braked “gravel” type bike a few years ago. It looked great, rode great and was completely fit for purpose. It didn’t hurt anyone and if it gets an old frame out there being ridden then we should all support and applaud that.

I’m as guilty as anyone on here of building up perfect representations of the perfect “bitd” build spec but the problem is they become to precious to actually ride

My only reservation is whether the powder coat is hiding any cracks and, obviously, the price is more than the sum of the parts.

There seem to be a worry recent trend of criticism of other people’s views on this section of the forum recently.

mheywoo1":3jyluzht said:
I don’t see the problem with the build. I think it’s been sympathetically done, it’s all reversable, it looks pretty good and it probably rides ok. I turned a DeKerf in to a 650b disc braked “gravel” type bike a few years ago. It looked great, rode great and was completely fit for purpose. It didn’t hurt anyone and if it gets an old frame out there being ridden then we should all support and applaud that.

I’m as guilty as anyone on here of building up perfect representations of the perfect “bitd” build spec but the problem is they become to precious to actually ride

My only reservation is whether the powder coat is hiding any cracks and, obviously, the price is more than the sum of the parts.

There seem to be a worry recent trend of criticism of other people’s views on this section of the forum recently.
Here here, nicely put. I'll second that.
But it is hideous. Each to their own is the point!

mheywoo1":1n9x6lyk said:

Well put. Theres always been a contingent of Snobs on here. This thread p***es me off, but not as much as the 'oooo your seat post is too high/stems too long/ you'll die with a 100mm fork' types! :LOL:

Back