The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

Here you go - latest very out of character LGF ghetto STS build - thank car boot sales and ebay!

file.php

Travel Chips and bearings

How long should I expect a set of travel chips to last?

In the two months I've been riding my STS, I have visited done about 200 miles off-road, culminating with the HONC last weekend.

By the end of the day, my travel chips looked like this:

legrandefromage":fhddyzg1 said:
Yum...

Anyone got a trunion for airshocks or something to adapt the fittings with?
I've got a spare manitou shock from a Jekyll with a trunnion. I had a fox version modified to fit the travel chips by rampage, but it is doable at home. You just need to shave the trunnion slightly as it is mms to wide, then modify some brake bosses as these fit thread wise, just too wide for the travel chip hole due to the 'nutted' section they have for removing/fitting. The challenge is screwing them in to the trunnion, but you can do this with a bolt and a couple of nuts much like on a cup and cone axle.

ishaw":24icc8uf said:
legrandefromage":24icc8uf said:
Yum...

Anyone got a trunion for airshocks or something to adapt the fittings with?
I've got a spare manitou shock from a Jekyll with a trunnion. I had a fox version modified to fit the travel chips by rampage, but it is doable at home. You just need to shave the trunnion slightly as it is mms to wide, then modify some brake bosses as these fit thread wise, just too wide for the travel chip hole due to the 'nutted' section they have for removing/fitting. The challenge is screwing them in to the trunnion, but you can do this with a bolt and a couple of nuts much like on a cup and cone axle.

sounds fun!

hit me with a price and I'll see if its worth the effort.

I might just service the shock instead as I am a tight git at the best of times.

So, about 12yrs ago, after an epic ride on my much loved STS, I noticed a crack in the frame (just above BB) while cleaning it. I stripped it, vowed to fix it and bought a '97 Heckler frame and rode that a long time. This year I finally got round to fixing my STS and have built it how I really wanted it to be. I am pretty happy with it!

'98 STS DS-1000 (I think -I threw the stickers away!)
Crank Bros Iodine 2 wheel set
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tires
XT M8000 1x11 full group set
XTR Hollowtech II BB (to come-pics show old one)
DMR V12 pedals
Thomson X4 40mm 0deg stem
Spank Spike polished bars
Ti spring on rear shock
circa '09 Rockshox Pike forks

photos: http://imgur.com/a/qrNWf

Ues29otl.jpg

KnvDme3l.jpg

n1D6ZO9l.jpg

Re:

Crack on right rear corner just above BB at carbon/aluminium junction.

Unidirectional carbon fibre left over from an America's Cup yacht project. I laid up about 16 layers, alternating between 0deg, 45deg, -45deg orientation.
Resin used is R&G L285 http://shop1.r-g.de/en/art/110100

Made a bladder from an inner tube, coated with vaseline so that it does not stick to resin.

Carbon impregnated with resin, layer by layer to make sure there are no dry areas, then rolled with hard roller between paper towel to remove excess resin.
Resin applied to inside of frame, lay up of carbon inserted, bladder inserted and partially inflated.

MDF clamped over hole, bladder inflated 'a bit' more. I did blow one up. Damn, it was loud!

Leave for 24hrs, remove bladder and.... fixed... hopefully. Seriously, I am confident that it is stronger than new.

Attachments

• Crack above BB.jpg
    Crack above BB.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 797
  • Crack above BB1.jpg
    Crack above BB1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 797
  • Unidirectional Carbon Fibre.jpg
    Unidirectional Carbon Fibre.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 798
  • Bladder.jpg
    Bladder.jpg