The GT STS Thread Members Bikes and Tech Info

You can find a lot of info here if you have facebook; GT LTS and STS Owners Club

and here: The Vintage Downhill MTB page Group

I have a STS DH also. A 1997
Thank you for this.. Not sure why I didn’t think to look at Facebook tbh! Just from what I’ve seen around the internet so far, I have a feeling this might also be a 97 frame. What’s your current setup looking like?

Looks great. Doesn’t look like you are missing anything important. No seat post clamp but that’s an easy buy. If the original bushings are smooth, I’d leave them. Bearing upgrade is sweet but a PITA to fit.
Looks like it already has a bolt on disc adapter, just in 22(?) mm Hayes size. Personally I’d leave it V brake.

Cable routing is “fun”. If you can help it, don’t remove any that are there and tape the ends so they don’t pull back through. When it’s time to fit the new one, tape them together and gently pull the new one through. If you don’t have a cable in place there are a few methods.
My technique was to use modelling wire. It’s stiff and can be straightened. Push though from the rear holes then guide out the front holes via the head tube space. Tape the new cable on and carefully pull through. Make sure its threaded through the shifter and front portion of outer first though. Don’t ask why I’m mentioning that obvious point 🤦

Looks like a great project, enjoy!
Haha yeah I noticed the seat post clamp, the bike was stripped down for storage many moons ago. we recently cleared out our old family home, so I’m praying to find a box somewhere full off all the missing bits, I’m not holding my breath tho.

Yeah both rims have 6-bolt holes to fit a disc, hence my curiosity.. but if it’s a real pain then I’ll stick with Vbrakes.

Thank you very much for the cabling tips, this kind of ‘voice of experience’ stuff really is golden. 🙏🏻

Yeah both rims have 6-bolt holes to fit a disc, hence my curiosity.. but if it’s a real pain then I’ll stick with Vbrakes.

Wouldn’t say it’s a pain, you just need the right caliper to fit the 22mm mount or the correct adapter to fit an IS caliper. Also no neat way to attach rear hose, I ended up zip tying it to the top tube when I ran disks.
If you are just cruising, V’s will be fine anyway.

Here’s my build thread if you’re interested.

Wouldn’t say it’s a pain, you just need the right caliper to fit the 22mm mount or the correct adapter to fit an IS caliper. Also no neat way to attach rear hose, I ended up zip tying it to the top tube when I ran disks.
If you are just cruising, V’s will be fine anyway.

Here’s my build thread if you’re interested.

Great thread that, bike looks mint as well. Nice job

AC stood for Adventure Components. An American company known for BMX, DH, MTB bike parts in the 80-90's.
The AC crankset and chain guide tensioner are factory original.

Hi all. Very happy to share my STS family, now completed, from 1996 to 2000 :

Attachments

• GT LTS STT 1996.jpg
    GT LTS STT 1996.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 26
  • GT STS 1997.jpg
    GT STS 1997.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 24
  • GT STS DH 1997.jpg
    GT STS DH 1997.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 26
  • GT STS DS 1998.jpg