The fleet is in: Hetchins, Holdsworth, Condor, Neil Orrell

johhnyp

Dirt Disciple
Further to my earlier post http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114663, I brought my Uncle's collection down from Manchester yesterday and will be fettling them over the next few days/weeks before putting up for sale. Pictures are available here:

http://tinyurl.com/299t9bh

My initial thoughts/ideas are:
  • Clean up the Hetchins and sell as is (I need to do some research and get the correct model name). This has not been rebuilt since it had its latest renovation and paint job by Neil Orrell/C&G Finishes. My uncle bought this new in 1963 from Jim Broom's shop on Regent Road, Salford.
    Strip down the Holdsworths and sell the frames, leaving lots of bits and pieces which will be of interest to restorers like us
    Ditto for the condor - this is a lovely, fillet-brazed frame and personally I would keep it as is rather than have a new paint job
    Neil Orrells - I am really impressed with the craftsmanship on these frames. The tourer has campag ergo shifters, 3x9 speed and the racer has 2x10 speed and integral rear brake cable routing. They both have chrome work which looks as though it will polish up nicely.

I should have loads of bits available, including early Shimano Dura Ace, a couple of Brooks saddles, a Lycett saddle, some of those rare little clips to run cables on frames without lugs, etc, etc.

I'll keep an eye out on the 'Wanted' section on this forum, and if I have anything that somebody is requesting I will offer them up. I'll also put bits up for sale here as I get them cleaned up and photographed. I think that the Holdsworths, Hetchins and Condor frames will go on eBay (I am a bit torn on this - I do have to try and realise a reasonable amount for my uncle, but I would like them to stay in the UK and be enjoyed by real enthusiasts). I am not sure whether the Orrells would realise their best value there, and whether selling them complete is the best approach. All opinions welcome, whilst I ponder my options during the hours of cleaning to come.

Oh you lucky bugger!!

I would lose days fettling with that lot!

Ive got a hetchins, and they are glorious.....
Check out 'classic rendezvous ' website for all the info you will need on it and the others .
I might be interested in some bits..... You don't have a 70 mm ish cinelli stem in one of those boxes do you?? :0)
Good luck

stedlocks":35doa8zz said:
I might be interested in some bits..... You don't have a 70 mm ish cinelli stem in one of those boxes do you?? :0)
Good luck

I don't have a 70, but I have a used 90 in silver, and a brand new, in box, never used 90 in black.

I have just finished cleaning up the Hetchins - will post some pictures in a separate thread.

That is one amazing collection - I hope you look after them.

the guy that runs my LBS has just restored his Hetchins and Holdsworth frames and they look great!

It was funny seeing this thread pop up again!
I've owned th eRed/white fade Orrell for a year now.......It has had plenty of miles put on it and still looks fantastic!
At the beginning of October, we will be going to Ireland together for a very short, whistlestop tour of relative's homes!

It looks a bit different, but is perfect for me at 6' tall ;)

Back