The faded Caramel beast......'82 Raleigh Gran Sport

Peachy!":3gh60jza said:
Acorns? How does predictive text get acorns from Argos? :facepalm:

I've been searching Google for ages for this frame painter you speak highly of! ;)

(I'd assumed it was Argos...) :LOL:

Re:

For what it's worth, I have always used Winsor & Newton's "Artists Acrylic Gloss UV Varnish", applied by brush. It dries to a perfectly clear finish, goes on nicely and there's a remover as well if you need it - althogh I've found that meths does the trick if you get a bit of a run during application. To be fair, I've only used it on tough old powder coat, but I'd say if it's OK for protecting artworks it won't harm bike paint. I've found the remover works brilliantly too if you happen to damage a sticker - or realise you've misplaced a new one after varnishing... And just a few quid a bottle!

Re: Re:

chickendrumsticks":39d58web said:
For what it's worth, I have always used Winsor & Newton's "Artists Acrylic Gloss UV Varnish", applied by brush. It dries to a perfectly clear finish, goes on nicely and there's a remover as well if you need it - althogh I've found that meths does the trick if you get a bit of a run during application. To be fair, I've only used it on tough old powder coat, but I'd say if it's OK for protecting artworks it won't harm bike paint. I've found the remover works brilliantly too if you happen to damage a sticker - or realise you've misplaced a new one after varnishing... And just a few quid a bottle!

Ooo.....good tip. I have an old Raleigh roadster from 1950 that I've polished up and re-decalled with Hlloyd decals - might give it a try on that first! Cheers :)

Postie has brought a few bits, courtesy of the fine people of this forum after I'd posted up some wanted ads.

Got a few options on Suntour freewheels now - one from eBay and a couple from MatBH5 - cheers!

cPl6mYxh.jpg

Seatpin bolts......a Campag that I bought on eBay (too small), a Campag from The Bat (cheers Kev!), an allen bolt from jim haseltine and a few Raleigh r-nut bolts from Corblimeyguv........and the original rusty allen bolt arrangement that came with the bike.

ebNtKkQh.jpg

The only one that really fits the bill is the longer Campag bolt from Kev - it's a little on the short side but I can get several threads engaged to tighten it up so I think all is good.

HXTw527h.jpg

Thanks to those people who have offered up bits to help me get this roadworthy so far - very much appreciated. The likelihood is that the bits I don't use on this project will get used on one of the other projects I have lurking in the shed!

Re: Re:

dorset boy":prhdutaz said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=512284
My 82 Gran Sport.

Lovely bike! Can't wait for the first ride on mine when I see others like yours. Are they Mavic rims?

Re:

Thanks,yes they are Mavic rims Module E2.When i rode the bike in France the colour was complemented a few times so it must be chic ! :D

Not a lot of progress of late.....been too busy with other stuff.

Did buy a saddle though.......cropped up on a Raleigh resto facebook page as a link to an eBay ad.

Took a punt on it as its an Iscaselle and it looked very similar to the Tornado saddle - bought just to rob it for its foam. Turns out that it shares the same plastic moulding as the Tornado so the foam is a perfect fit.

The original saddle from my bike is missing the leather/suede and the foam and is in a proper state.......and seeing how much Tornado saddles are going for - one finished on ebay tonight for £64 - £14 for a foam donor seemed like a good option.

Anyways......I've carefully removed the vinyl/foam from the donor saddle and it's a perfect fit on the Tornado. Just need to source an appropriate covering now to retrim it......

Awaiting dissection....

KcUfA2oh.jpg

WFrP29rh.jpg

qRHxdvNh.jpg

M3QOkJeh.jpg

Foam separated........

FLKVlpfh.jpg

Offered up to the naked Tornado........

oG7cFWXh.jpg

Have you thought of refreshing the vinyl?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=415721

I’ve tried this product on vinyl and it works just as well as on leather...

Peachy!":2s1a2ok2 said:
Have you thought of refreshing the vinyl?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=415721

I’ve tried this product on vinyl and it works just as well as on leather...

Looks like good stuff that - my boss used something similar on the steering wheel in his classic Saab and recommended it.

I think I want to change material though - thinking a different finish like suede or alcantara........undecided as yet. (but I think brown suede will edge it......)

Good results on that Flite though - lovely job.

Back