The contemporary value of 'retro'...

i think it depends on how much you value your money, to some people that much is not much money at all. i work for a firm who makes boats for people with more money than sence. it always amazes me that there are people out there who would spend that much money on the boats that i build, there are much nicer boats for a lot less on the market, but were always building and selling. it costs the price of my house to keep one of these boats running for a year! my point is, if your wallet is big enough and you want it bad, then you're going to pay. it might have been value for money for the winning bidder weather its for a collection or rider.

Sorry Russ, don't want to start a new versus retro discussion all over again and you're probably right in many ways ... but their is just something about the build quality of many new/modern things that I just don't dig. Yes I really think an XTR M900 group is better than the latest one (M970?) It's just better build and longer lasting... just as my 1937 Simplex commuter and my 1967 Merc..... some of the older stuff is build to last and that's what many here appreciate... I know we live in a throw away society nowadays and that most things are build with a very short economical and technical lifespan..... just for profit :twisted: If you would build an old Merc, old Simplex (Holland bike ;) ) or even old M900 group nowadays it would just be too expensive for the masses......If you're building uncompromised good quality stuff nowadays (Rohloff hub. King, phil wood e.a.) you're building for a small group of people that prefer quality and sustainabilty over Mass produced far eastern shiny goodies that last a year or two..... So yes I'm naive and think that many old bikes are better than most modern equivalents...... but hey, that's why I'm on this forum :D .... and ride a 2008 Groovy rigid :roll:

Russell":38bfu38f said:
I disagree with you in both respects:
:shock:

I love my old bikes, I feel pretty safe in saying that I've owned and ridden a wider spread of bikes (age wise) than most of the other users of this forum but I'm not foolish enough to try to deny that modern bikes are better or that a retro bike is as capable as a modern one. My '84 Stumpjumper was fun to ride off road, my '93 Zaskar a blast, but no where near as good as my '08 Duster. Really, I appreciate the Zealots, but a little realism doesn't go amiss now and again.

Like I said in my OP, "As a retro collectors piece, which I guess is where its headed then its worth whatever the winner wants to pay. Is it good value? No, no matter what its intended use. Is it worth it? Only to the winner." Bang on about retro vs Modern all you like, but that ain't the issue. Oranges and apples my friends, different fruit.
I was comparing the value of this Ritchey to that of a rigid Roberts. If you think your Charge Duster is better than this Ritchey, I wonder whether it's because you think the Duster frame is better or because suspension is faster than rigid? Entirely the latter, I should have thought.

Lots of people like riding rigid and for them this Ritchey is pretty much as good as any modern rigid bike. Yo Eddy got a great (rigid) bike from Rody, but I'll bet it cost him around the same as this Ritchey cost. And with all due respect to the Groovy, if I had the choice of a Groovy or this mint Ritchey as a gift, I would take the Ritchey.

Anthony":1l9df078 said:
Yo Eddy got a great (rigid) bike from Rody, but I'll bet it cost him around the same as this Ritchey cost. And with all due respect to the Groovy, if I had the choice of a Groovy or this mint Ritchey as a gift, I would take the Ritchey.

as I mentioned in my other reply before, if you want to have a custom build high quality bike/frame nowadays it will cost you lots of many, I was more than happy to pay Rody for his dedicated work (and he's been more than fair to me with his pricing).. but remember a Rohloff hub alone is 'round a 1000 euro's, my Groovy would cost you more than double the amount of the Ritchey :shock: ........ is it worth it?? I would say YES, more than 100% cause it's exactly whatI wanted and you just don't get bikes like this from the shelves :D

Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.
One mans tatty old crud is someone else's gold.

I have a rule that I try not to criticise other people's hobbies, as they are no more (or less) pointless than my own.

I'm not into bog-snorkelling, nor building up a bike exactly as original and nerding over whether a 1994 Marin Pine mountain had Shimano or KMC chain fitted originally, or whether that year Shimano used green or red grease in the hubs. But someone does, and that's fine by me.

If the fact that I've removed the decals and resprayed my 1994 bike in a colour that I like, rather than what the factory did, then I'm sorry I offended you. Likewise if I overpaid for something (compared to you) because I liked it then so what, it was my money not yours.

Tolerance, please! :cool:

hamster":122s3v6l said:
Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them.
One mans tatty old crud is someone else's gold.

I have a rule that I try not to criticise other people's hobbies, as they are no more (or less) pointless than my own.

I'm not into bog-snorkelling, nor building up a bike exactly as original and nerding over whether a 1994 Marin Pine mountain had Shimano or KMC chain fitted originally, or whether that year Shimano used green or red grease in the hubs. But someone does, and that's fine by me.

If the fact that I've removed the decals and resprayed my 1994 bike in a colour that I like, rather than what the factory did, then I'm sorry I offended you. Likewise if I overpaid for something (compared to you) because I liked it then so what, it was my money not yours.

Tolerance, please! :cool:

well said :)

Is it good value..... hmmmmmmm :roll:

- is it expensive? to some it is to others it is not
- is it a good bike? to some it is to some it is not
- is it a good investment? well better than most modern bikes and probably even better than the current stock market ;)

when money is not a problem I guess it's good value :cool:

Back