The contemporary value of 'retro'...

Russell":2auxt5zr said:
cchris2lou":2auxt5zr said:
I agree with Anthony , a custom steel frame , fully build with equivalent modern components will costs a lot more .

And the modern equivalent to a cantilever brake is...? Thats the thing, there is no modern equivalent to this, technology has moved on.

Oranges and apples.

Magura rim brakes are way more then you need on a CC bike ;)

Russell":1uf6hakj said:
And the modern equivalent to a cantilever brake is...? Thats the thing, there is no modern equivalent to this, technology has moved on.

oranges and satsumas.

MARKETING has moved on - as proved time after time, cantis work, V-brakes work, Maguras overwork, disks work. Marketing moves on.

legrandefromage":3v5gxw6v said:
MARKETING has moved on - as proved time after time, cantis work, V-brakes work, Maguras overwork, disks work. Marketing moves on.
Exactly. Did people not ride off road before 100mm suspension forks were invented?

chris667":r71yqra8 said:
legrandefromage":r71yqra8 said:
Exactly. Did people not ride off road before 100mm suspension forks were invented?

No, they stood around smoking pipes and discussing the nights previuos ''ows your father'...

legrandefromage":2h97a8ea said:
chris667":2h97a8ea said:
legrandefromage":2h97a8ea said:

No, they stood around smoking pipes and discussing the nights previuos ''ows your father'...

:LOL:

Starting to like this thread, the kinda replies you can expect on a RETRO bike forum :D
Must admit what Russell said about the nowaday steel tubes (air hardened). A good builder can build you something just as good or better than some off the golden oldies (but at a price ;) :!: ).
The suspension is something personal, most pro racers use front suspension only (allmost all Cyclo crossers run full rigid!). Suspension nowadays is way better but not an issue for all of us.
IMHO the big brands are not into building bikes that last cause that's not in their (financial) interest.... lots off marketing tricks not all to the benefit of the rider though.
Back to the topic.... this bike is worth the money for collectors but also for someone who wants a nice (really nice) steel frame of very good quality and a hussle free long lasting shifting mechanism. The canti's might not suit everyone but can be changed for Magura easily if (probably not :? ) this bike will end up being a rider.

I agree - based on what a modern handbuilt bike would cost, this one isn't over-priced.

Also consider that it's a very limited bike, handbuilt by one of the pioneers of MTBs and with a direct link to the race team.

BUT, because this one is in such great condition, riding it (and inevitably inflicting some damage) would be agonizing; As would keeping it as a "carpet queen" and NOT riding it.

So if it was my money I'd prefer to spend less and get a rider.

DM":24tntfjl said:
I agree - based on what a modern handbuilt bike would cost, this one isn't over-priced.

Also consider that it's a very limited bike, handbuilt by one of the pioneers of MTBs and with a direct link to the race team.

BUT, because this one is in such great condition, riding it (and inevitably inflicting some damage) would be agonizing; As would keeping it as a "carpet queen" and NOT riding it.

So if it was my money I'd prefer to spend less and get a rider.

I spend more and bought a rider :LOL: :LOL:

Me too :LOL:

But on "high-tech" bikes that quickly became out-dated junk.
Should have bought a classic fillet-brazed Ritchey...

Back