The climbing wizard – Merlin MALT 2 1996/97...probably

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
I just thought I'd post this Merlin in case anyone has any further info, as I can't quite pin down the date or model, though I'm pretty sure it is a MALT 2. The side cable-routing on the top tube, and the 'sword' down tube and 'climbing wizard' head tube decals seem to mark this model/year as a bit different to most MALTS I've seen out there. To be perfectly honest the wizard decal probably accounts for about 50% of the reason I bought this bike :LOL:. Well, that I'm a sucker for the bare aluminium look (thankfully nearly all the lacquering is still good on the frame).

I read somewhere that Merlin moved from Ormskirk sometime after 1997, so I guess that does narrow it down to before then. I guess I'll go for 96 as the most likely year. Frame number is K6H01789.

Anyway, looking forward to getting it all properly together. The wheels are going to get changed soon. The fork (RST Mozo Pro) seems in very good condition, luckily – though I'm not a massive fan of the very 90s yellow colour, but I guess I'll leave as is for now, at least. They are very original, so in a way seems a shame to lose that, even if aesthetically it slightly offends me...

Attachments

• IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2870.jpg
    IMG_2870.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Looks like the classic mid 90s polished alloy and a yellow fork although it's normally a Judy! Those RSTs get some good reviews from the past. I'd keep them. Look forward to further updates of another Merlin.

Yeah, I will keep the RSTs, definitely. I'm just toying with spraying them a gun metal type colour or similar, and possibly getting some new decals done for them. The Mozo Pros did come in grey too, so it would still be in keeping with the retro look, more or less (just less garish!). I'll see how I feel after I've lived with it for a bit.

I've got some new Mavic wheels with dark blueish rims (would have preffered black, but these were cheap), plus the original Onza tyres to fit on them, then it's pretty much done for now. I'll post some pics when I get out into the Peaks with it...

Like your fork idea.

There's a photo in the link of an early malt with the same decals as yours. I think yours is pre 95 so maybe 93 or 94? Have you checked some of the scans of early Merlin ads from magazines for info?

Yeah, I have seen that photo – in fact, it was first posted somewhere on Retrobike. There are very few photos of Merlins with those decals compared to the usual text-only style like yours, though this advert from Spring 1997 shows the same 'sword' decals on all these models, as far as I can tell (you do have to squint a bit to actually see them...):

So, like you, at first I thought it might be earlier than 96, but now I'm not so sure, seeing as that decal style was still around in 97. But obviously mine is not the same frame as yours...so it's a bit confusing!

Ah, see what you mean! Ive no idea what model mine is either due to the triangular downtube. Only ever seen one other online. I vaguely remember a Merlin ad with an alloy frame, triangular top and downtube as a special. They probably got lots of various frames, decaled them up and flogged em cheap. Fun bikes though and for many the cheapest route into a decent 90's MTB

Seem to recall the MALT 3 had wishbone seat stays so I'd say that was a '2' as well. Nice bike!
Thanks! Yes, the MALT 3 did have the wishbone stays – and different dropouts, too. So I'm pretty confident it's a MALT 2. Just not sure about the exact year...

Got to be around 96/7. I remember lying on my bed listening to Prodigy and studying that double spread MERLIN ad in MBUK. Always liked the look of the MALT frames.

Back