The Budget.

Re: Re:

Is that because we're on a site about bicycles?

Aren't there other forums for politics, economics, baking, snail racing etc? When I want to discuss or gain views such matters I go elsewhere. I was once drawn into a debate on rhubarb cake on here but now I avoid such contentious issues. People don't seem to be able to play nicely.[/quote]

True and agree. But then this is off topic. Gun chat rooms are good for a laugh. I got blocked from one
YouTube is fun. Just make the smallest comment and you get 20 comments of personnal attacking. And all I said was I didn't like the colour of mr Buttons new super car.

Harryburgundy":1qpxpyjq said:
Yeah, 'at best ineffective and a waste of resources' work like the Coersive Control Act recently introduced after years of hard work by MP Elfyn Llwyd. What a lazy, self-serving leech.
One of many examples, I really can't be arsed to list them all. As usual, this thread is light on facts and heavy on banal stereotyping and political naivety.
I don't believe the state should be involved in family full stop. See also the SNP named person nonsense.

I believe in the power of the individual, not of the state, government or politicians.

Just like our tax code is massively over complicated to suit politicians who use its intricacies to dupe the public, endless new laws also suit politicians as they are seen to be 'doing something'. No matter if its useful or not. See also 'offensive singing at football'. Meanwhile they completely fail at the fundamentals e.g. border control, drugs policy, tax evasion...

Less is more.

Re:

Erm, forgive me, could you expand on your comment that 'the state' should not be involved in family full stop.

I'm unsure exactly what you mean. Are you saying women or men should not be protected against domestic violence or coercive control? What about female genital mutilation or arranged marriages?

its lucky that nurses, doctors etc don't just think of themselves. Otherwise no healthcare. The caring professionals don't do it just for the money. Its good to help others. We will all get old and need others help. It fine to think me me me when healthy and (fairly) wealthy. But many people need help for many reason not their fault.

Harryburgundy":higmjm6k said:
Erm, forgive me, could you expand on your comment that 'the state' should not be involved in family full stop.

I'm unsure exactly what you mean. Are you saying women or men should not be protected against domestic violence or coercive control? What about female genital mutilation or arranged marriages?
It's perfectly clear. Government has no business interfering with people's lives.

I did write a longer explanation but thought better of it. It would only upset the RB hand wringers. Plus this is supposed to be a budget thread.

Isn't that the whole point of a Government though.
To tell the people what it can and cannot do, be it directly or indirectly, for that country's society.

Otherwise there would be no point in having one or infact anyone put in a position of authority.

FluffyChicken":2ibg8zl8 said:
Isn't that the whole point of a Government though.
To tell the people what it can and cannot do, be it directly or indirectly, for that country's society.
If you look at it that way it's no wonder we live in a recycling, plain pack, 20's plenty nanny state.

I've got yet another polling card through this week. Meaning I'll be in that booth 5 times in 3 years, with more referendums likely to come. If that's not too much government I don't know what is. And yet nobody seems very happy...

Back