The British bike thread

Raleigh RSW 16

Seen the film, got the soundtrack, got the DVD. Fabulous!
There's a short clip near the beginning where the boy does a trick ("pulls wheelie"?) that nobody could do on a RSW16. Some kind of stunt bike? Look it up - can you identify it? (it's on YouTube I believe) But beware, you'll fall in love with girl...

Hadn't heard of 'maes stratalite', I presumed 'maes' was something to do with GB, but nope it's Strata:
Which was around at about the same time.

Apparently (Ebay) maes stratalite was about 37cm ctc (14.6").
GB Touring is 16.5".
I've gone with GB Tourmalet (15") because it's almost exactly the same dimensions as the stock bars on a 1982 Holdsworth Avanti.

1960's GB catalogue:

60s 10.jpg

Hadn't heard of 'maes stratalite', I presumed 'maes' was something to do with GB, but nope it's Strata:

GB Touring is 16.5".
I've gone with GB Tourmalet (15") because it's almost exactly the same dimensions as the stock bars on a 1982 Holdsworth Avanti.

1960's GB catalogue:

View attachment 849001
The bars were on a Roberts i got last year,thought they were gravel bars until i removed all the tape and was pleasantly surprised.

Seen the film, got the soundtrack, got the DVD. Fabulous!
There's a short clip near the beginning where the boy does a trick ("pulls wheelie"?) that nobody could do on a RSW16. Some kind of stunt bike? Look it up - can you identify it? (it's on YouTube I believe) But beware, you'll fall in love with girl...
It looks like he's on a unicycle with some sort handlebar , fork and front wheel assembly in his hands .

Here we have my 3 Carlton's. Top is the Corsa now with a Strong light crank set so shinier than in this photo. This is a 19.5" frame I have had it since 1978. Made out of Tru-Wel steel.

Next is the Super Course last version all 531 tubes in the same colour as my wife's nail varnish. This was £80 and used for early in the year. I went out on this day before yesterday trying to stay fit prior to new hip not comfortable but it was better than expected lots of painkillers I think this is a 23" frame. It is about as much as I can do to get astride the crossbar

Bottom is the Giro another £80 buy this 531 main tubes. Campagnolo wheels nice, the bottom bracket drop is much bigger than on the others so although a 21" frame it sits lower than the Corsa by a smidgeon.

Like them all the Corsa is on 650 a alloy wheels and so tyres are limited it is on Marathons at the moment. I did my first century last year and the Corsa was magnificent.

Weight wise the Corsa is heaviest by.only a pound or two.

Found a photo of the Corsa with the Stronglight chainset, doesn't it look a picture helped of course by having one of our Jack Russell's, namely Jemima, in the frame too.

Compress_20220314_181410_0791.jpg Compress_20220314_181412_2086.jpg 625706-2f23bfbe78e74d7d6bb5fa8477e2a064.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    849.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

GB Touring is 16.5".

1960's GB catalogue:

View attachment 849001
"Maes" drops named after Sylvere Maes., Belgian rider 1909 - 1966. TdF winner '36 & ' 39. (Disraeli Gears)

Last edited:
Back