The Barron that isn`t. Opinions sought as to what it is

Re:

Rick Powell, ex Carlton Cycles builder before he set up DD Enterprises of Dinnington, Sth.Yorks?

Same lugs & seat binder as my Powell track bike. Just a thought.

Re: Re:

FINNEY1973":e5d5mr7t said:
Rick Powell, ex Carlton Cycles builder before he set up DD Enterprises of Dinnington, Sth.Yorks?

Same lugs & seat binder as my Powell track bike. Just a thought.

Thank you, I believe that you may have solved the mystery

Several other Rick Powell frames have the same serial number sequence and pictures on tintyweb show same lugs and geometry

He is showing as one of the Universal Cycle Centre guru`s in Rotherham

I have emailed them with details and pics

If it is one of his guess where it is going for renovation!

Thank you again

Link - some nice retro stock if anybody is in need

http://www.universalcyclecentre.co.uk/index.html

Good stuff, hopefully he'll be able to confirm. I believe he still does the occasional renovation, he did mine just before I bought it.

Update

Mystery solved

I have spoken to Dave Marsh, he has confirmed that it is a Rick Powell frame

Well chuffed to find out it is a decent bit of kit :D

Unfortunately not but I will be taking it up to them for refurbing so I will ask them if they can provide all the details

Thank you again for your astute observation, it is a definite keeper!

SLX forks will probably be on the shopping list as well now rather than the carbon but do I fit all period components or keep the 10 speed carbon chorus?

The Chorus stuff is a very nice bit of kit but perhaps 8-speed Record or similar would suit? All depends on what colour you're going for on the refurbishment? Looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Spent the morning with Dave Marsh a couple of weeks ago

If anybody wants to see on old school bike shop full of history (and Beryl Burtons bikes) go and have a look at Universal Cycles, it is like stepping back in time

Has one of Barry Hoban`s bikes on display as well

He is also one of the nicest and most knowledgable people you will ever meet

rikcougar":20tmedeh said:
Barry fitted the bottom bracket for me and he said it is not one of his, this one has a serial number, a system which he never used apparently

I would have liked it to be a Barron but he only repainted it

I am confused as to where it was made, Columbus SLX or SPX tubing, the bottom bracket shell is one of the Cinelli "spoiler" type but with an English thread and Columbus dropouts, the only identification being DD579 on the bottom bracket :?:

When your replacement BB was fitted is the original BB shell pinned? If yes it would reduce the # of possible ( Italian builders?) by approx, 2/3rds, still a lot though,If it 's an English thread I doubt it's of Italian manufacture. Is the fork thread also English ? whats stamped on the headset? some of the metric Columbus tube had parallel ribs in the tube ends What size seat pillar does it take ?.Should delete as you've solved your problem but might be of use to someone else

Back