MKM Ultimate

Ralph_the_Rohan

Retro Guru
Here's the next in my line up of '70's/80s Time Trial Bikes.

After my previous two Emperor Sports (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=301287 and http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=263892) this time it is an MKM Ultimate. At this moment in time I am unaware of the exact age as it does not have a frame number stamped anywhere on the frame or forks. David at http://www.mkm-cycles.co.uk is currently investigating and as he is in contact with Steve Elsworth, who built all the MKM Ultimates, hopefully I will have an answer soon.

Eagle eyed viewers may recognise this bike as it previously belonged to a friend of mine and has been displayed on Retrobike before in a couple of different guises.

After stripping the frame down from it’s last set-up my friend began building up a collection of lightweight period correct parts ready for a final build up. As is normally the case, a lack of time and space meant that this project sat on the back burners for a couple of years until, finally, in February this year my friend gave the frame and the collected parts to me as a 60th Birthday present.

I decided to combine what he gave me with my own collection of lightweight parts to build up what would hopefully be a very light bike.

As most people know, the fashion throughout the 70s was to reduce the overall weight of TT bikes by drilling holes in parts such as brake calipers, brake levers, seat posts and chainrings, etc. This process became known as “Drillium” and although eventually superseded by the introduction of aerodynamics, it reached its zenith when employed by top TT riders such as the “King”, Alf Engers.

I already had a few Drillium parts including a pair of Weinmann Brake Levers and a radically drilled Campagnolo Seat Post that interestingly I obtained from Graham Crabtree, who is the son of Ian Crabtree, one of a line of different owners of the MKM Company. Ian actually used the Seat Post in one of his own MKMs back in the day.

I really wanted some drilled Weinmann 500 calipers, but had never been able to obtain any, so I decided to have a go at drilling a pair myself. Despite only having a Dremel multi-tool set-up in a small Dremel drill press, which did not allow for brilliant accuracy, I was quite pleased with the results.

After completing the build-up I was very pleased to find that the complete bike weighs in at 17.19lbs or 7.8kg as I was aiming at something around 18lbs. It currently has a pair of tatty old Continental Champion GP Tubs fitted, perhaps if I change to some silk Clements I may be able to drop under 17lbs. Anyone have some they want to get rid of?

Here’s the spec sheet followed by a few pages of pics…

Frame: MKM Ultimate – Reynolds 531

Fork: MKM – Reynolds 531

Headset: OMAS “Big Sliding”
Stem: Cinelli 1A – 125mm
Handlebar: Cinelli 66 - 40
Bar Tape: Cotton

Brake Levers/Brifters: Weinmann - Drilled
Brake Calipers: Weinmann 500 - Drilled
Brake Pads: Weinmann
Brake Cables: Unknown Brand

Shifters: Campagnolo Record - Drilled
Front Derailleur: None, it’s a Time Trial Bike!
Rear Derailleur: Huret Jubilee
Derailleur Cables: Huret
Freewheel: Maillard Course - Dural – 6 Speed – 13 through 18
Chain: Regina Extra SL Superleggera – Hollow Pins
Cranks: Campagnolo Record - 170mm 144 BCD – Lugs for Inner Chainring milled off – Chainring Arms milled out
Chainrings: Unknown Brand – 54 Teeth - Drilled
Bottom Bracket: OMAS “Big Sliding” – Titanium Axle
Pedals: Vittoria Superlight – Fides Lightweight Aluminium Toeclips – Milremo Competizione Straps

Rims: 28 Hole Super Champion Medaille D'or – Gold Factory Anodised
Hubs: Campagnolo Record – Large Flange
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Record
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Continental Champion GP Tubs
Tubes: N/A

Saddle: SABA Premier Record
Seatpost: 27.2 Campagnolo Record – 2 Bolt
Seatpost Binder: MKM

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras: N/A

Weight: 17.19lbs – 7.8Kgs

Enjoy the pics!

Steve.

Re:

First Pics....

Attachments

• MKM 5a.jpg
    MKM 5a.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • MKM 4a.jpg
    MKM 4a.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 1,069
  • MKM 3a.jpg
    MKM 3a.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1,071
  • MKM 2a.jpg
    MKM 2a.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • MKM 1a.jpg
    MKM 1a.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 1,079
Re:

Some more....

Attachments

• MKM 10a.jpg
    MKM 10a.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • MKM 9a.jpg
    MKM 9a.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,055
  • MKM 8a.jpg
    MKM 8a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,057
  • MKM 7a.jpg
    MKM 7a.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • MKM 6a.jpg
    MKM 6a.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 1,058
Re:

Last selection....

Attachments

• MKM 16a.jpg
    MKM 16a.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • MKM 15a.jpg
    MKM 15a.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • MKM 13a.jpg
    MKM 13a.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • MKM 12a.jpg
    MKM 12a.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • MKM 11a.jpg
    MKM 11a.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,050
Very nice but give me one of your Saba saddles :) :) :LOL:

You did the Drillium work? Good effort if you did it all

Needs a traditional 57ring though :)

Re:

Hi Nob,

I'm not sure this Saba would be good enough for what I know you need one for. It's pretty beat up. I was going to Proofride it, but seem to have misplaced the tin.

The only drillium work I did myself was on the Calipers. It's not bad, but could have been a lot nicer with a proper drill press.

I have got a 57, but it's not drilled at present, which stopped me fitting it.

Hi pliptrot,

The bottom of the seat post is plugged with a cork, added by the original owner. So it would only ever get a small amount of water inside the post itself, but I don't intend riding it in the rain.

I need the newer of your saddles :LOL:

Have you had a chance to ride it yet as I think the wheelbase on those was around 35.5 inches so will be twitchy & built for straight lines only :)

I like the color though

Back