There is a Rockhopper under there, honest guv

Nice.

I painted some bench ends with hammerite metallic grey and thought wow this would look nice on a bike ...

Many thanks for all the comments, it really is nice to get a bit of feedback.

@Proto2000 @Frankenorange I've added a few more pics of the wheel jig. I tried to build something P&K Lie quality for Park Tool cost. As it turns out, I couldn't be happier with it. If I had another chance, I'd make a few cosmetic changes, but functionally can't think of any improvements. The design spec was...

1. Absolutely rock solid with zero flex

2. Flexibility to take anything from a BMX wheel up to a fat bike wheel - The plates provide the vertical movement. The rods provide the horizontal movement. It's quick and easy to adjust if you are starting a different sized rim.

3. Simplicity and ease of use - I built in an adjustable ruler and gauges to measure dish whilst in the jig. The original intent was just to get a rough idea of dish, but still remove the wheel to get ultra accurate with a dishing tool. As it turns out the ruler and gauges are just as good as the dishing tool.

4. Parts off the shelf, with no machining - The only parts requiring machining ended up being the brass brackets to hold the hub.

5. Steel base so I could use DTI gauges on magnetic bases.

I've got a parts list & loads more pics of me putting it together if you want to build one yourself.

IMG_20210711_172224.jpg IMG_20210711_172233.jpg IMG_20210711_172253.jpg IMG_20210711_172355.jpg IMG_20210711_172408.jpg IMG_20210711_172459.jpg

Many thanks for all the comments, it really is nice to get a bit of feedback.

@Proto2000 @Frankenorange I've added a few more pics of the wheel jig. I tried to build something P&K Lie quality for Park Tool cost. As it turns out, I couldn't be happier with it. If I had another chance, I'd make a few cosmetic changes, but functionally can't think of any improvements. The design spec was...

1. Absolutely rock solid with zero flex

2. Flexibility to take anything from a BMX wheel up to a fat bike wheel - The plates provide the vertical movement. The rods provide the horizontal movement. It's quick and easy to adjust if you are starting a different sized rim.

3. Simplicity and ease of use - I built in an adjustable ruler and gauges to measure dish whilst in the jig. The original intent was just to get a rough idea of dish, but still remove the wheel to get ultra accurate with a dishing tool. As it turns out the ruler and gauges are just as good as the dishing tool.

4. Parts off the shelf, with no machining - The only parts requiring machining ended up being the brass brackets to hold the hub.

5. Steel base so I could use DTI gauges on magnetic bases.

I've got a parts list & loads more pics of me putting it together if you want to build one yourself.

View attachment 592450View attachment 592451View attachment 592452View attachment 592453View attachment 592454View attachment 592455

Thank you for the extra pics. It looks the bees and a list of parts and dims would be much appreciated.

Back