The Almost all (un)original 95' Kona Lava Dome!

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Another one has arrived.....

While searching for the lesser spotted 95 Explosif, I came across this lava dome on ebay, it caught my eye as being pretty much all original, so i made an offer and gambled it'd all be all right.....

And it is. It arrived today, and i'm very pleased with what came out of the box. Its pretty much as per the 95 Catalogue (Katalogue??), the only exceptions i can see are a different chain (sram) and bar ends. The cantilevers are STX, but despite the catalogue specifying they were originally Dia compe items, my memory seems to recollect some spec changes mid season that year (95 was my first bike shop job, and a lot of that first year in the industry is etched in my mind!), although i'd be happy to be corrected if this wasnt the case.

Bad points first then... the original saddle is split on one corner. Both hubs are rough, although judging by the rest of the bike they haven't been used much, could be just mis adjusted cones and old grease.
There's a few tiny rust worms forming under the lacquer, and some of the usual scratching.
The original tyres are split in a couple of places, nothing too bad, but I may move them on in favour of more modern rubber.
Some nasty scratches on the P2's

Good points:
No dents! Virtually no rim wear. At all.
smoothest Impact headset i've felt in years
Original parts all here, including BB and pedals.

Plan is to strip, clean and polish, then decide on a couple of spec changes. I hate the gripshifts for example, and the reach is too long. I'm already on the lookout for a shorter stem and an inline post,
And do I V brake or no V brake?
I will probably fit my nicer XT wheels, but i'll see how the hubs are after a service.
Watch this space!

Yab6EFa.jpg

lPP0hD7.jpg

GTTqz3g.jpg

DRgeSkL.jpg

xLgkypn.jpg

LNtZ9pA.jpg

arCuSW0.jpg

JssfIqK.jpg

Nice find, I have it's identical twin, same year, same colour, same size and also all original, including the same tires. I've done a few upgrades including Arch Rivals, Will post a pic.

Slow progress on this. I'd originally intended to keep it original, but its morphed into a kind of retromod.

Currently I'm rebuilding the rear wheel with an 8 speed XT hub, and just received an NOS rear axle, bearings and a freehub body.

I'll update with some photos soon.

I got the rear hub rebuilt with new axle, bearings and freehub, the bearings feel great now, Then it was rebuilt into a better rim. Just a tiny hop in the rim, and within about 1/2 a mil side to side. Got to be happy with that on a 20+ year old rim!

The front is a bit more of a problem. These wheels were clearly built years ago (badly, the spoke pattern wasn't correct) and due to seized alloy nipples its impossible to true. I've resolved to replacing all the nipples with brass. I removed all the tension carefully from the spokes, apart from the 12 that really wouldn't budge at all. The ones that came off are now replaced, and my next action is to apply a little heat to each seized alloy nipple using a soldering iron for a few seconds. This should break the seal. In times gone by (i.e. when I worked in a bike shop) I'd have just cut them all out and used new spokes, but the new me is trying to be a little more frugal. It'll feel better once I've managed it!

Once that's done I'll go through the motions of tensioning/truing etc etc....

wHcg6Sx.jpg

nLEcjMe.jpg

98hvYq9.jpg

l35CjVB.jpg

RGhdQtG.jpg

Back