The "3 way" Kona project DONE AT LAST!!

Re: The "Out with the old & in with the new" Kona project

Nice thread, have enjoyed reading it through... Bet the wife is screwing at all the bikes and parts! But its not an obsession, continuously tinkering with things and never being satisfied at the end of it is just a 'man thing' :LOL:

SEANSTEPHENS":1w0tt4mo said:
Nice thread, have enjoyed reading it through... Bet the wife is screwing at all the bikes and parts! But its not an obsession, continuously tinkering with things and never being satisfied at the end of it is just a 'man thing' :LOL:

I did have a classic mini, after 12 years of ownership and 2 rebuilds it had to be sold before I had the urge to strip it again! :facepalm:

I love the tinkering as much as the riding.... :LOL:

Little bit of random progress....

Took the U'Hu out for a ride on Sunday, generally ok but had some issues with the rear mech :facepalm:. When looking down at it from above the cage looked twisted and I was having some issues with it shifting. Once i got back I stripped it down and had a close look... to mech seemed fine. on closer inspection the mech hanger was slightly bent! :? so a bit of gentle leverage with the adjustables has hopefully done the trick. Will have to wait for the next ride to find out.

On the other projects: the SIDs... I was naughty and I've bought another set but 1998 ish rather than 99. so lets hope this set turns out to be good. I will still try to repair the 99's but parts are somewhat elusive!

I started to clean up some of the parts for the 94 Kilauea, polished up the Kona cable stop...

And I've added some purple to the rear mech :p ...

:xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1449.JPG
    IMG_1449.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 635

You sure that mech hanger was bent Matt?
I never had a problem shifting with the M739 when i last used it (frame) :?

Gruff":eq3idajg said:

It looked very slight even with a steel ruler on it. I did have a slight off early on in my ride so I may well have tweeked it then. (Front wheel washed out while trying to get out of a rut :facepalm: ) didn't mean to make it sound like the frame was damaged. As I said next ride will hopefully prove ok :)

matt24777":1ehyqh0w said:
Gruff":1ehyqh0w said:

It looked very slight even with a steel ruler on it. I did have a slight off early on in my ride so I may well have tweeked it then. (Front wheel washed out while trying to get out of a rut :facepalm: ) didn't mean to make it sound like the frame was damaged. As I said next ride will hopefully prove ok :)

Didn't take it that way mate :)
I did have to swap from my 1st M739 mech as the pivot bolt bush had too much play which caused shifting probs but was ok on the 2nd one.

well been a little while, Christmas is gone and January is here... will it ever stop raining?

Took the U'Hu for a spin again, mostly on the road, but still managed to find some trails that were very squidgy where they'd been pulped by the horse riders .... who needs brakes! :LOL: but it was lovely and quiet!

Also spent a little while in the garage with the wet n dry polishing up some Control Tech bar ends.... (one on the right is untouched)

after sanding with various grades of wet n dry 240, 400, 800, 1200 & 2500

and after some autosol :cool:

The 98 SIDs arrived and all appears good with them, although I haven't stripped them yet.... :?: not sure I want to! But I did tidy up the peeling stickers with a clean and some sticky back plastic :mrgreen: Blue Peter Style!

Before

After

Hopefully this will keep it tidy.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.JPG
    IMG_1521.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 574
  • and sand.JPG
    and sand.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 574
  • and polish.JPG
    and polish.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 574
  • R before.JPG
    R before.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 574
  • R after.JPG
    R after.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_1515.JPG
    IMG_1515.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 574

MiniNinjaRob":2nmaltbf said:
Original silver respray is the best!

Yes I agree, I do like the look of yours! So today I took the 94 frame, P2's and velocity stem off down to PCL in Bridgwater (about 3 miles from me) and I'm having the frame done in a light gloss Silver, and the stem/forks done in a gloss Anthracite. Hopefully will only be about a week.

In the meantime I've had my wheels built by SJS (just round the corner :D ) that was not a smooth process.

I originally went in with my set of NOS Pulstar hubs and they quoted me for a build. but due to having to order in the direct pull spokes it was ridiculous.

So after some ebay searching I found some Phil Wood spokes in the states that I could buy in various lengths in small batches (18 a time). So I happily ordered some up. When they arrived, off I trotted to SJS with the hubs and spokes to the length their wheelbuilder had quoted.

A couple of days later came the call.... the spokes are too short! the ebay seller had measured them differently to the wheelbuilder :facepalm: :facepalm: .

So off to ebay again and ordered up some longer ones. When they arrived dropped them off and a day later picked these up.. :D

They ain't the lightest wheels but I like them! Spec as follow:
Pulstar Hubs, Phil Wood plain gauge spokes, DT alloy nips, Mavic XM317 rims, Hope QR skewers & Tioga Pyscho Tyres.....front = 1765g Rear = 1975g (no cassette)

Now need to sort some decals..... Gil!

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 539

Collected the frame and forks from PCL powder coating in Bridgwater today. The finish is very good, just a few imperfections, but a lovely shiny gloss!

now just got to tidy up some of the masking edges and chase the threads, and it will be time to apply the decals :D :D

Attachments

• 94 kilauea (6).JPG
    94 kilauea (6).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 94 kilauea (3).JPG
    94 kilauea (3).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 94 kilauea (7).JPG
    94 kilauea (7).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 94 kilauea (4).JPG
    94 kilauea (4).JPG